Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time To Add Luck To The MVP Discussion

John Waylon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FX ... Andrew L is leading 2 win team LAST SEASON ... To 5 already THIS season.

Everyone and their mother knew the team only won two games because our QB was terrible, and the team gave up. Not because we were a talent-less team. We were more than a 2 win team last season.

I dont think anyone is saying Luck should* win it. But you can make the case he's one of the most valuable players to his team so far.

The media just was hyping up Griffin as an MVP candidate on a 3-5 team. Dont see why Luck getting some run is so bonkers.

He wont win it and ROY is the only realistic award he can win but why not a little chatter?

Everyone and their mother knew the team only won two games because our QB was terrible, and the team gave up. Not because we were a talent-less team. We were more than a 2 win team last season.

the team didn't give up. if i remember right they won two of their last.

I dont think anyone is saying Luck should* win it. But you can make the case he's one of the most valuable players to his team so far.

The media just was hyping up Griffin as an MVP candidate on a 3-5 team. Dont see why Luck getting some run is so bonkers.

He wont win it and ROY is the only realistic award he can win but why not a little chatter?

the media darling can have the chatter, let luck just play football......

A.L. has no shot at Offensive Rookie of the Year. That trophy has already been engraved with the name of the rookie quarterback from Washington. He doesn't deserve it and hasn't/won't earn it - but it will be given to him nonetheless. You see, these things are pre-ordained.

Just think on this..................

Ask a rookie QB to throw the football 48 times in a game. 48! Does anyone seriously think that would result in the highest statistical output by a rookie in NFL history? If that isn't enough, consider that he was 68 % on third downs! After throwing it 48 times!

This was not just the result of a league that is becoming more offensive friendly. This is uncanny awareness in the pocket, rock like poise, a very strong arm, and severely underrated athletic escapability. Regardless of the length and depth of his career...we saw greatness today.

What I am loving about Luck is that he's only thrown one INT in the past three weeks. I know that the Browns, Titans and Dolphins aren't exactly the class of the NFL on defense but for any rookie to only throw one INT in three weeks in a primarily passing offense is good. Luck is a head of schedule that's plan as day and every week I watch him I just think man how good is he going to be in three to four years when he is fully developed. We have the next great QB in the NFL folks. Enjoy it.

With that said he's gotten lucky a couple of times this past couple of weeks throwing the ball when he was going down to avoid a sack that was nearly picked off. If he keeps doing it sooner or later someone is going to get one of those. So he's a still a rookie with things to be ironed out but he's playing extremely well and I love our new QB.

What I am loving about Luck is that he's only thrown one INT in the past three weeks. I know that the Browns, Titans and Dolphins aren't exactly the class of the NFL on defense but for any rookie to only throw one INT in three weeks in a primarily passing offense is good. Luck is a head of schedule that's plan as day and every week I watch him I just think man how good is he going to be in three to four years when he is fully developed. We have the next great QB in the NFL folks. Enjoy it.

With that said he's gotten lucky a couple of times this past couple of weeks throwing the ball when he was going down to avoid a sack that was nearly picked off. If he keeps doing it sooner or later someone is going to get one of those. So he's a still a rookie with things to be ironed out but he's playing extremely well and I love our new QB.

I think the Dolphins have had one of the better defenses in the league this year, especially on run defense (although that doesn't affect Luck).

What surprised me, and could surprise many people is that besides Bradford and Schaub, they've picked off every quarterback they've gone up against, and force a turnover against everyone but the Texans. That's impressive, and Luck didn't throw one pick today, and the Colts didn't the turn the ball over once.

We beat a good defense today.

I think the Dolphins have had one of the better defenses in the league this year, especially on run defense (although that doesn't affect Luck).

What surprised me, and could surprise many people is that besides Bradford and Schaub, they've picked off every quarterback they've gone up against, and force a turnover against everyone but the Texans. That's impressive, and Luck didn't throw one pick today, and the Colts didn't the turn the ball over once.

We beat a good defense today.

Exactly pass defense they were in the 20's. Luck did a great job not turning the ball over today and frankly the fact he's only done it once in three weeks by INT really impresses me about him and I would say that about any rookie QB who is throwing the ball as much as Luck is. With that said the Browns, Dolphins and Titans aren't exactly the Texans or Bears on defense.

Exactly pass defense they were in the 20's. Luck did a great job not turning the ball over today and frankly the fact he's only done it once in three weeks by INT really impresses me about him and I would say that about any rookie QB who is throwing the ball as much as Luck is. With that said the Browns, Dolphins and Titans aren't exactly the Texans or Bears on defense.

In the 20s yardage wise, but there's a lot more than that. I look at the turnovers, and how they perform on third down. They are outstanding at both of those, and Luck didn't turn the ball over and killed them on third downs today.

He beat their strengths today. The Dolphins are a top 10 defense...

In the 20s yardage wise, but there's a lot more than that. I look at the turnovers, and how they perform on third down. They are outstanding at both of those, and Luck didn't turn the ball over and killed them on third downs today.

He beat their strengths today. The Dolphins are a top 10 defense...

Passing wise no they aren't and they sure as heck aren't the Texans or Bears on defense. These past three teams have not been the class of the NFL on defense that we have played. With that said the way Luck has played has been impressive regardless of who it has been against.

He should be in the coversation, but the Matt Ryans, JJ Watts, Peyton Mannings, Aaron Rodgers will be the ones that are considered.

Luck has a case, but don't expect any voter to even consider voting for him.

There are two of him now? :funny: Or did you just get rolling with the s because everybody else ended with one?

He should be in the coversation, but the Matt Ryans, JJ Watts, Peyton Mannings, Aaron Rodgers will be the ones that are considered.

I think he'll kinda be like Tyrann Mahieu was last year at the Hiseman Trophy awards. He was there but everyone knew he had no shot of winning it. He just rounds out the conversation. I'd add Eli to the list but Eli took a step back today. Don't sleep on Brady or Rodgers if the Packers or Pats rip off a long winning stretch the back half of the season.

Given the way the season seems to be going across the league barring a few stand outs (Falcons I'm looking at you), the MVP race will change several times before we're done. Sure Andrew is hot right now but the biggest hurdle for any young team is consistency, I don't want to pour cold water on the good mood but I'm not counting any chickens.

Personally I think J.J Watt is the most deserving candidate, but that's biased somewhat in that I think defensive players have to work harder for recognition.

ROTY would be more realistic for Luck, but as insinuated in other posts I think this award is only going one place unless Andrew posts 300+ every game haha

You're not crazy.....and there is the old country boy...who is also 5-3...

We'd have to go 10-6...But who has passed for more yards in the NFL...than Manning and Luck.?

Is Irsay a genius...I'd hate to have to admit it.. :goodluck:

Eli Manning

New York Giants

Yards: 2426

2. Tom Brady, NE 2408

Then Luck & Peyton at 2404,

but luck has far more attempts per game than nthese, esp eli, just imagine when Lucks % completion increases

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/playersort/NFL/PYDS/2012/regular?&_1:col_1=9

I believe in Luck this year. He has proven to be a better quarterback than RG3, and he has made the big plays late in games to come back and win. What does RG3 do? He's a good player and a good quarterback, but he is not winning games. He could have won Sunday, but that did not happen. Luck has my vote for MVP. GO COLTS.

Call me crazy, but I think putting Luck in the MVP race right now should be HIGHLY considered. I think it's Peyton's right now, and I think Matt Ryan is right behind, but Luck is doing more with less. Luck has no run game, and a defense you really can't count on, and how many times has he brought his team from behind?

Luck should be a legitimate MVP Candidate at this point...

Ahh my good friend John long time buddy, normally we agree to no end, not this time lol. There are plenty of other QB'S With better numbers on winning teams, Rookie of the year yes, MVP I think thats pushing it.

JJ Watt, Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning are a few that have better chances of winning. ROTY perhaps, but he will have to duke it out with Griffin, Martin...

JJ Watt is probably the best defensive player in the NFL, but It's extremely rare to see him get MVP with all of the great QB's around the league.

Ahh my good friend John long time buddy, normally we agree to no end, not this time lol. There are plenty of other QB'S With better numbers on winning teams, Rookie of the year yes, MVP I think thats pushing it.

He's not saying he will win the MVP, simply that he should be in the discussion and i don't think thats unreasonable. It will probably go to the best player on the best team in the end, but if you really want to look at who is the most valuable to his team, Luck HAS to be right up there. That was the case for Peyton when he was here on a couple of teams, they weren't as good as some people thought and it was evident last year when he was out. Manning is playing great this year as well, but the Broncos were a playoff team under Tebow. The Colts last year won 2 games and basically started over.

MVP isn't a stats award. That's what the Offensive Player of the Year is for. Ask Drew Brees. Peyton's 2008 stats weren't the best, and he still won it.

Luck has us at 5-3, in control of our playoff destiny. We pretty much gutted our team, our front office, we have an inconsistent run game that when it's not there, it is NOT there, and a defense he consistently has to score more than.

It was not at all sane to expect this of us prior to now.

Stats aren't the only criteria but they ARE a major part of it. He would at least have to be in the top 3 of one major category. Passing yards, TD passes, completion percentage.... SOMETHING. Luck, even after yesterday, has a QB rating of 79 with 56% completion rate. He's playing his tail off right now for a rookie, but he's not a legit MVP candidate. He's just not.

I'm as excited about his play as anyone, but lets reel it in here a little......

The Bucs version of Ray Rice, Doug Martin, and Andrew Luck are on that doorstep this season, though. Haven't opened or entered the door yet. If RG III overcomes rib injury and flashes brilliance a couple more times, his name will be tossed back in too. But I doubt a rook will get it. Just nice a few get talked up though before being dismissed. :)

He's not saying he will win the MVP, simply that he should be in the discussion and i don't think thats unreasonable. It will probably go to the best player on the best team in the end, but if you really want to look at who is the most valuable to his team, Luck HAS to be right up there. That was the case for Peyton when he was here on a couple of teams, they weren't as good as some people thought and it was evident last year when he was out. Manning is playing great this year as well, but the Broncos were a playoff team under Tebow. The Colts last year won 2 games and basically started over.

Being in the MVP discussion not only must you win, you need to have good numbers Andrew Luck is playing great for a rookie , buy statistically cant hold up to even being mentioned in the mvp discussion imo 2402 yds, 56% 10 tds 8 ints are A. Lucks respective stats you shouldnt be mentioned in the discussion imo with these stats

Being in the MVP discussion not only must you win, you need to have good numbers Andrew Luck is playing great for a rookie , buy statistically cant hold up to even being mentioned in the mvp discussion imo 2402 yds, 56% 10 tds 8 ints are A. Lucks respective stats you shouldnt be mentioned in the discussion imo with these stats

How are the Colts winning then with Luck's supposed bad numbers? Is it there great defense? Great running game? Special teams? Luck's numbers have a little to do with the overall talent around him as well. Mediocre O line, inconsistent WR play to name a couple. Luck is playing very well and if you take him off this team they probably are winless. How many games has he decided in the 4th qtr? If you look at most of the guys in the MVP discussion you will find there respective teams are loaded with talent in comparison to the Colts. Most of them were playoff teams last year or have been for several years. The Broncos won a playoff game with Tim Tebow at QB. Again, he isn't going to win, but if MVP really means most valuable, then Luck should be in the discussion. He took over a team that won 2 games, then was blown up, and has them with the 3rd best record in the AFC. I just don't find it so unreasonable to say he should be in the discussion.

How are the Colts winning then with Luck's supposed bad numbers? Is it there great defense? Great running game? Special teams? Luck's numbers have a little to do with the overall talent around him as well. Mediocre O line, inconsistent WR play to name a couple. Luck is playing very well and if you take him off this team they probably are winless. How many games has he decided in the 4th qtr? If you look at most of the guys in the MVP discussion you will find there respective teams are loaded with talent in comparison to the Colts. Most of them were playoff teams last year or have been for several years. The Broncos won a playoff game with Tim Tebow at QB. Again, he isn't going to win, but if MVP really means most valuable, then Luck should be in the discussion. He took over a team that won 2 games, then was blown up, and has them with the 3rd best record in the AFC. I just don't find it so unreasonable to say he should be in the discussion.

With that argument, you could say that Tebow should have been in the MVP discussion because he took a 1-4 Broncos team to the playoffs despite having unimpressive stats. Don't take that the wrong way, it's just a perspective that could be used with the argument you're making. But anyways, yes Andrew Luck is in the conversation. But he has absolutely no shot at winning it(unless he has the best 8 game stretch ever from game 9-16t. He's a rookie, he'll get better in time. Stats do matter when it comes to the MVP. That's why the front runners are Ryan, P. Manning, and Brady. Not only are they leading their teams to wins, they are statistically very consistent. That's why I laugh whenever I hear Eli's name in the MVP discussion. Sure he may be clutch, he may lead the Giants to another Super Bowl this year. But the MVP is a regular season award and he lacks the week to week consistency throughout the regular season to ever have a chance at winning that award like his bro has done many times.

I expect him to be a serious contender in the future but right now I don't think he'll be the 3rd stringer in the Pro Bowl game. But that's OK, he has a long career ahead of him and the improvements to his completion percentage and so on should come in time.

With that argument, you could say that Tebow should have been in the MVP discussion because he took a 1-4 Broncos team to the playoffs despite having unimpressive stats. Don't take that the wrong way, it's just a perspective that could be used with the argument you're making. But anyways, yes Andrew Luck is in the conversation. But he has absolutely no shot at winning it(unless he has the best 8 game stretch ever from game 9-16t. He's a rookie, he'll get better in time. Stats do matter when it comes to the MVP. That's why the front runners are Ryan, P. Manning, and Brady. Not only are they leading their teams to wins, they are statistically very consistent. That's why I laugh whenever I hear Eli's name in the MVP discussion. Sure he may be clutch, he may lead the Giants to another Super Bowl this year. But the MVP is a regular season award and he lacks the week to week consistency throughout the regular season to ever have a chance at winning that award like his bro has done many times.

I expect him to be a serious contender in the future but right now I don't think he'll be the 3rd stringer in the Pro Bowl game. But that's OK, he has a long career ahead of him and the improvements to his completion percentage and so on should come in time.

I understand that argument could be made, but it would be rather weak. Do you think Tebow could win with this current Colts team? The point i was making had to do with the overall talent of the Broncos compared to the Colts. They were a talented team last year and won a playoff game. You don't do that if you are a talent less team. The Colts were a very bad team last year and had bad QB play on top of it. They basically blew the whole thing up over the offseason. Half the roster is rookies or first year Colts. They regularly start 8 rookies or first year Colts on offense every Sunday. The comparison really is not very similar at all. The Broncos had talent, the Colts had....next to nothing.

And no i don't think he will win it either. But thats not what is being discussed. Winning it and being in the discussion are different things. I believe he should be in the discussion. Yes stats matter, and Luck will have the stats once the talent around him catches up with him. It's not like he has horrible stats now and he's gotten much better over the last 2 games. Those 3 guys you mentioned who may win all have very talented teams surrounding them, agreed? I think Luck is doing a lot with less, but that's just my opinion.