Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HtownColt

Joe Reitz Starts at LG

37 posts in this topic

Arians was gushing about Reitz blocking as a TE after the Titans game. Not surprised at all. As someone already said, here's his opportunity to get his job back permanently

All I can say is, as I sit and watch Luck continue to scramble play after play (it sure seems like every play, bur I'm sure it's not), I wonder to myself "where's his line at?" Holy maceral! I see folks on these threads mention how our line is improving and giving all these stats. I realize they are improving, but I would like to see what Luck could do if he had a little time to think behind the line. I hope we finally get to that point at some time. Look at Brady, I swear sometimes it seems like he can go order a cup of coffee, drink it and then come back and throw the ball. Maybe it's just me.

2 people like this

All I can say is, as I sit and watch Luck continue to scramble play after play (it sure seems like every play, bur I'm sure it's not), I wonder to myself "where's his line at?" Holy maceral! I see folks on these threads mention how our line is improving and giving all these stats. I realize they are improving, but I would like to see what Luck could do if he had a little time to think behind the line. I hope we finally get to that point at some time. Look at Brady, I swear sometimes it seems like he can go order a cup of coffee, drink it and then come back and throw the ball. Maybe it's just me.

Grigson is committed to bringing a dominant O-line to Indy. His own words. It's not all gonna happen this year. Just gotta be patient. All things considered, I'd say that our O-line play has been a pleasant surprise in recent weeks.

Here's an article from colts.com that should sooth your worries:

http://www.colts.com...78-99c81e67edf9

“I can’t rest until we have one of the best lines in the NFL, if not the best line. I can’t rest until that happens.”
3 people like this

Grigson is committed to bringing a dominant O-line to Indy. His own words. It's not all gonna happen this year. Just gotta be patient. All things considered, I'd say that our O-line play has been a pleasant surprise in recent weeks.

Here's an article from colts.com that should sooth your worries:

http://www.colts.com...78-99c81e67edf9

Great point. You got to love having a GM who not only talks the talk about the importance of an O line, but was one. Everyone knows it all starts in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Grigs seems committed to making that happen.

1 person likes this

Great point. You got to love having a GM who not only talks the talk about the importance of an O line, but was one. Everyone knows it all starts in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Grigs seems committed to making that happen.

I love the Colts and have faith in Grigson and the new system. I guess I'm getting a little impatient and a little nervous at the same time. In this whole tranition period, I would hate to see Luck get clobbered and not get back up. I can't wait for him to have the same kind of time that Brady has to scan the field and select his target. It will be a thing of beauty when it happens. I also wouldn't mind the Oline creating some good running hole for our backs. I'm starting to see that changinf too. Also, a thing of beauty.

Well, the run blocking has vastly improved. The pass blocking has not. Luck is still running for his life, more times than not.

Well, the run blocking has vastly improved. The pass blocking has not. Luck is still running for his life, more times than not.

Isnt that what a few on here said, that Link is a better run blocker while Reitz is a better pass blocker? I think we will see it on the field when it happens at least w.r.t the LG position.

I think a lot of it is play-calling, personally. Too many deep routes are being called. It's taxing on any O-line to have to protect the QB for 3 seconds every snap. We need to mix up the calls with quick, chain-moving passes so Luck and the O-line can get in rhythm

1 person likes this

The crazy thing is, Link has done so well the last few weeks that I'm wondering if this is an upgrade. Like I said, crazy.

Luck is so good at avoiding pressure, and such good things happen when he scrambles, that I think we should just put our best run-blocking line out there. A lot of the pressure results from other teams' strategy of blitzing him. The sudden ability we have at running the ball is worth the pressure on Luck...

Well Mr. Reitz, here's your Chance to knock Arians' Socks off like he aid you had to in order to become a Starter

Knock-Your-Socks-Off.jpg

1 person likes this

Ok, I'm game for it, I just hope it doesn't cause Link to start getting moved around into other spots and causing us to see the Link of old. He actually did a solid job at LG as of late...

If Link gives up another sack like he did the one to Quinn Garay in 2010 playing at another position, I may have to deal with him personally. I STILL have nightmares about that... Every night.

1 person likes this

Nah in my opinion Reitz is not an upgrade at LG MAYBE in pass blocking but certainly not in run blocking, Link has been more then fine at LG in both pass blocking and decent at run blocking however this year. I been saying Reitz is not a Guard and I stick by that, I think many fans have that 1 horrible play vs Garay stuck in there heads when it comes to Link. I can see us running behind our O Line if we continue to incorporate alot of Zone Blocking because thats what scheme many of our O Linemen were drafted or picked up for in Zone Blocking Schemes, Castonzo-Zone, Linkenbach/Reitz-Zone Satele-Zone/Miami before landing in Oakland and what WAS there Man Blocking until they switched to Zone this year Mcglynn-Zone Philly, Justice-Zone in Philly as well even Olsen was drafted by Denver in a Zone Blocking scheme. I dunno I just love how Zone Blocking is set up I guess maybe thats it but I just see most of our O Linemen a better fit in Zone

1 person likes this

Time for Reitz to shine. A bad performance and Link will be back in and Reitz won't be back in for awhile. Believe it or not, but Link has actually been performing well the last few weeks.

I agree with the part about Brady and a clean pocket that sometimes seems to last forever....but I think the middle of our line has been stronger than they are given credit for in pass blocking....I can't count how many times Luck has been able to climb the pocket to escape outside pressure and complete a pass downfield.... that gives me some confidence in Luck's ability to survive the season and the ongoing improvement of the line.

1 person likes this

I think a lot of it is play-calling, personally. Too many deep routes are being called. It's taxing on any O-line to have to protect the QB for 3 seconds every snap. We need to mix up the calls with quick, chain-moving passes so Luck and the O-line can get in rhythm

It was a double whammy in Pittsburgh. You had Roethlisberger waiting for the deep routes to develop, then holding the ball and attempting to improvise. Not sure where you find linemen to fill that assignment.

I agree that we need to throw in some 3 step, plant and fire type of throws. Of course we still need better oline play especially as far as the passing game. The run game sure looked better last week but the titans aren't a good team right now either. If we get to run against Miami, then I will. Sliver the oline has improved but I'm suspicious about them. A strong run game though will no doubt open up a big passing game though so they are building it right. Would just to have both phases working (run/pass).

Well Link has been playing well, I am trying to understand this move. But if it is because he has a concussion then I can understand that.

We will see how well Reitz plays as the starter

Nah in my opinion Reitz is not an upgrade at LG MAYBE in pass blocking but certainly not in run blocking, Link has been more then fine at LG in both pass blocking and decent at run blocking however this year. I been saying Reitz is not a Guard and I stick by that, I think many fans have that 1 horrible play vs Garay stuck in there heads when it comes to Link. I can see us running behind our O Line if we continue to incorporate alot of Zone Blocking because thats what scheme many of our O Linemen were drafted or picked up for in Zone Blocking Schemes, Castonzo-Zone, Linkenbach/Reitz-Zone Satele-Zone/Miami before landing in Oakland and what WAS there Man Blocking until they switched to Zone this year Mcglynn-Zone Philly, Justice-Zone in Philly as well even Olsen was drafted by Denver in a Zone Blocking scheme. I dunno I just love how Zone Blocking is set up I guess maybe thats it but I just see most of our O Linemen a better fit in Zone

Gav I'm with you normally former te play tackle in nfl he is athletic but justice bin ok this season , didn't link start Super Bowl in 09

It got me thinking....with how Reitz handled blocking as a TE, have we miscast him as a guard? His agility at TE surprised me, and he is 6'7, 320. Maybe we should be developing him as our RT.

He'll be rusty at first, gonna take time for him to re-adjust.

It got me thinking....with how Reitz handled blocking as a TE, have we miscast him as a guard? His agility at TE surprised me, and he is 6'7, 320. Maybe we should be developing him as our RT.

Not a bad idea Hans! Although I'm not really displeased with Justice just yet.

I been saying Reitz is a RT from day 1 lol

I think it may be possible

I will try to forget much of the above crud.

Links pass blocking had been mostly scary poor until the last two games. His run blocking was mediocre at best also.

Running successfully the last two games helped hide his lack of pass blocking ability.

Clearly the run blocking has looked better against two very mediocre teams. McGlynn`s good run blocking sticks out. Link has been OK too.

The coach commended Reitz for just going out there at TE when we were shorthanded and with no practice. And he did get some nice push the few plays he was in.

It is clear that Reitz will start, even if he is less than 100%, due to Link`s injury.

All is opinion, but Reitz looked MUCH better than Link in All Phases before the injury. Reitz was pancaking people just like he did last Sunday. A Better Run & Pass blocker than Link without ? Some Real Jokers here!

On Donald Browns long run it was a gaping hole anyone could hit. Again, against a mediocre defense.

The best thing was that under lots of Duress, Andrew was Accurate on some critical throws. Not been the case so much of the time.

I realize that forums are for opinions and what not, but all these suggestions that Reitz should be playing tackle or he has been a tackle all along and shouldn't be playing guard is nonsense. We all have idea's from time to time, but that does not mean they are good idea's. If the coaches felt that Reitz would be better suited to play tackle, then you could bet the house, that's where he would be playing.

1 person likes this

I realize that forums are for opinions and what not, but all these suggestions that Reitz should be playing tackle or he has been a tackle all along and shouldn't be playing guard is nonsense. We all have idea's from time to time, but that does not mean they are good idea's. If the coaches felt that Reitz would be better suited to play tackle, then you could bet the house, that's where he would be playing.

ya know if you dont like an idea you really dont have to read it, also just because a coach thinks that a player is better suited at a position that does not make them right. were college coaches wrong for making Mcglynn a RT all 4 years at Pitt or the Ravens wrong for grooming Reitz to play RT (yes they let him go)

ya know if you dont like an idea you really dont have to read it, also just because a coach thinks that a player is better suited at a position that does not make them right. were college coaches wrong for making Mcglynn a RT all 4 years at Pitt or the Ravens wrong for grooming Reitz to play RT (yes they let him go)

well, one wouldnt know what the opinion was until they read it. and mcglynn playing tackle in college means nothing...many guards in the nfl played tackle in college out of necessity.

I'll have to go back and watch the game again, but at first glance, Reitz played his tail off today. A couple of key 3rd and short runs were converted running behind him. I was impressed with the O-line's play overall today.

Side question: Anyone know what happened to Justice? Why was Sowell in the game at RT for the 4th quarter?

I'd like to think Justice was benched. He was getting pushed around pretty good today.

Good game by Reitz.

I'd like to think Justice was benched. He was getting pushed around pretty good today.

Wrong and wrong.

We just really want Justice to be bad. He was going against one of the best DEs in football and held up pretty darn well. Also, Sowell makes Link look All World at RT, no one is getting benched for him.

1 person likes this