Photo

Robert mathis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 GoColtsGo5150

GoColtsGo5150
  • 635 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

http://m.nfl.com/new...p1000000088943/

Nuff said

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 TKnight24

TKnight24
  • 12070 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

"The Indianapolis Colts ' struggling Defense"

Seriously? Defense has been Fine. We may not be the Texans or 49ers Defense, but we do Fine. And they act like we've had everyone on the field. We still have Injuries & this is a NEW System to a lot of people. What did they expect, a Top 10 Defense?

But anyhow, Glad the Partners in Crime (Freeney & Mathis) get Reunited come Sunday & then the short week for Thursday
"I differ what they prefer, so they count me like the census"

#3 Old Colt

Old Colt
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

Defense has been our strong point in games vs Tennessee and Cleveland. Now with Mathis back, and if the offense can get rolling, we could have a solid winning streak......

#4 IndyTrav

IndyTrav
  • 2909 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

I'd be curious to see our points allowed and yards allowed right now and compare them to this point last year.

I may do that.

I like to argue. 

#5 jbaron04

jbaron04
  • 1474 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Defense has bin ok this season gettin some stops on 3rd down an 4th down in big parts of the game

#6 NorCalColt

NorCalColt
  • 739 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'd say the defense has been uneven, plays better late (save for the Jags game), but has been as responsible for wins as the offense. Which, after all, is what I want in a team - one which can win defensively when needed, and offensively when needed. Statistically the Colts still rank toward the bottom in rushing yards allowed per game (27th, 137.4 a game, 4.8 yards per carry), but toward the top in passing D (7th, 213 a game). The interesting thing to me, however, is that the individual numbers within the passing D aren't nearly as good as the overall numbers. They rank 25th in the NFL, allowing 64.6% completions, 22nd in yards per attempt at 7.4 yards, and 32nd in interceptions. Most importantly, they rank 22nd in the NFL, allowing 24.4 points per game. The defense has beeen hit with more injuries, obviously, and the loss of Freeney and Mathis translates into less pressure and all that follows. The rotating D line and LBs, and all the new responsibilities make the rushing numbers less miserable to me, not to mention that the worst performances have skewed the overall numbers - meaning, I think they've played run D better than the overall numbers show, based on big games by the Jags and Jets. I still see a rushing D which gets gashed at times, a D that struggles getting off the field at times (currently rank 18th in opponent 3rd down conversions allowed, at 40.45%), and one which is still trying to get everyone healthy and in the right places. I see progress, and I am very optimistic that the D will improve, as people get healthy, as the original 11 envisioned by the coaches are actually on the field together at the same time.

#7 Buck Showalter

Buck Showalter
  • 2474 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

In the Greenbay game, during the comeback whenever Mathis was holding up the whiteboard with "Chuckstrong" on it... That was good stuff, I got choked up & at that moment I think Mathis became my favorite defensive player EVER...

#8 Gavin

Gavin
  • 18637 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

I'd say the defense has been uneven, plays better late (save for the Jags game), but has been as responsible for wins as the offense. Which, after all, is what I want in a team - one which can win defensively when needed, and offensively when needed. Statistically the Colts still rank toward the bottom in rushing yards allowed per game (27th, 137.4 a game, 4.8 yards per carry), but toward the top in passing D (7th, 213 a game). The interesting thing to me, however, is that the individual numbers within the passing D aren't nearly as good as the overall numbers. They rank 25th in the NFL, allowing 64.6% completions, 22nd in yards per attempt at 7.4 yards, and 32nd in interceptions. Most importantly, they rank 22nd in the NFL, allowing 24.4 points per game. The defense has beeen hit with more injuries, obviously, and the loss of Freeney and Mathis translates into less pressure and all that follows. The rotating D line and LBs, and all the new responsibilities make the rushing numbers less miserable to me, not to mention that the worst performances have skewed the overall numbers - meaning, I think they've played run D better than the overall numbers show, based on big games by the Jags and Jets. I still see a rushing D which gets gashed at times, a D that struggles getting off the field at times (currently rank 18th in opponent 3rd down conversions allowed, at 40.45%), and one which is still trying to get everyone healthy and in the right places. I see progress, and I am very optimistic that the D will improve, as people get healthy, as the original 11 envisioned by the coaches are actually on the field together at the same time.

Attempts are also a huge factor in that, we are 5th in yards allowed through the air but 22nd in completion percentage allowed and have the 3rd fewest pass attempts against us, 25th in the league in rush yards allowed. Strangely enough only 15th in rush attempts against us

#9 Tark The Shark

Tark The Shark
  • 2391 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

Gotta love "partners in crime" quote.

Also, it is big to have Mathis back. Mathis has had a big impact on the new defense.

Hughes has stepped in well for Mathis and personally, I would rather have Hughes in Freeney's spot on the defense.
“Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the heck you're doing.”- Peyton Manning

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates