Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoColtsGo5150

Robert mathis

9 posts in this topic

"The Indianapolis Colts ' struggling Defense"

Seriously? Defense has been Fine. We may not be the Texans or 49ers Defense, but we do Fine. And they act like we've had everyone on the field. We still have Injuries & this is a NEW System to a lot of people. What did they expect, a Top 10 Defense?

But anyhow, Glad the Partners in Crime (Freeney & Mathis) get Reunited come Sunday & then the short week for Thursday

Defense has been our strong point in games vs Tennessee and Cleveland. Now with Mathis back, and if the offense can get rolling, we could have a solid winning streak......

I'd be curious to see our points allowed and yards allowed right now and compare them to this point last year.

I may do that.

Defense has bin ok this season gettin some stops on 3rd down an 4th down in big parts of the game

I'd say the defense has been uneven, plays better late (save for the Jags game), but has been as responsible for wins as the offense. Which, after all, is what I want in a team - one which can win defensively when needed, and offensively when needed. Statistically the Colts still rank toward the bottom in rushing yards allowed per game (27th, 137.4 a game, 4.8 yards per carry), but toward the top in passing D (7th, 213 a game). The interesting thing to me, however, is that the individual numbers within the passing D aren't nearly as good as the overall numbers. They rank 25th in the NFL, allowing 64.6% completions, 22nd in yards per attempt at 7.4 yards, and 32nd in interceptions. Most importantly, they rank 22nd in the NFL, allowing 24.4 points per game. The defense has beeen hit with more injuries, obviously, and the loss of Freeney and Mathis translates into less pressure and all that follows. The rotating D line and LBs, and all the new responsibilities make the rushing numbers less miserable to me, not to mention that the worst performances have skewed the overall numbers - meaning, I think they've played run D better than the overall numbers show, based on big games by the Jags and Jets. I still see a rushing D which gets gashed at times, a D that struggles getting off the field at times (currently rank 18th in opponent 3rd down conversions allowed, at 40.45%), and one which is still trying to get everyone healthy and in the right places. I see progress, and I am very optimistic that the D will improve, as people get healthy, as the original 11 envisioned by the coaches are actually on the field together at the same time.

In the Greenbay game, during the comeback whenever Mathis was holding up the whiteboard with "Chuckstrong" on it... That was good stuff, I got choked up & at that moment I think Mathis became my favorite defensive player EVER...

1 person likes this

I'd say the defense has been uneven, plays better late (save for the Jags game), but has been as responsible for wins as the offense. Which, after all, is what I want in a team - one which can win defensively when needed, and offensively when needed. Statistically the Colts still rank toward the bottom in rushing yards allowed per game (27th, 137.4 a game, 4.8 yards per carry), but toward the top in passing D (7th, 213 a game). The interesting thing to me, however, is that the individual numbers within the passing D aren't nearly as good as the overall numbers. They rank 25th in the NFL, allowing 64.6% completions, 22nd in yards per attempt at 7.4 yards, and 32nd in interceptions. Most importantly, they rank 22nd in the NFL, allowing 24.4 points per game. The defense has beeen hit with more injuries, obviously, and the loss of Freeney and Mathis translates into less pressure and all that follows. The rotating D line and LBs, and all the new responsibilities make the rushing numbers less miserable to me, not to mention that the worst performances have skewed the overall numbers - meaning, I think they've played run D better than the overall numbers show, based on big games by the Jags and Jets. I still see a rushing D which gets gashed at times, a D that struggles getting off the field at times (currently rank 18th in opponent 3rd down conversions allowed, at 40.45%), and one which is still trying to get everyone healthy and in the right places. I see progress, and I am very optimistic that the D will improve, as people get healthy, as the original 11 envisioned by the coaches are actually on the field together at the same time.

Attempts are also a huge factor in that, we are 5th in yards allowed through the air but 22nd in completion percentage allowed and have the 3rd fewest pass attempts against us, 25th in the league in rush yards allowed. Strangely enough only 15th in rush attempts against us

Gotta love "partners in crime" quote.

Also, it is big to have Mathis back. Mathis has had a big impact on the new defense.

Hughes has stepped in well for Mathis and personally, I would rather have Hughes in Freeney's spot on the defense.