Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrentMc11

Indiana University/Indiana Pacer Basketball!

1,750 posts in this topic

The next few games will tell us alot,against top notch opponents

Georgia on Monday.....in New jersey....not sure after that one. I do not have a schedule here....it is at home. I will check it out online...yep.....gonna get tougher.

UCLA is one of the other teams along with Georgetown i believe,if they win they play winner

UCLA is one of the other teams along with Georgetown i believe,if they win they play winner

Good tests for sure....UCLA lost one of their main players but look good....so far...not familiar with this year's Hoya crew.

regaurdless better comp all the way around,i think we will handle it just fine

A very close call there against a tough Georgetown team. While they may not be in the top 25 as of now, wouldn't be surprised to see them there, at the very least they are a tournament team. This pre-Big Ten season schedule is a little tougher with North Carolina coming up and then the team that beat them last night, Butler. This was a good win and a good game for them to play, against a tougher opponent on the road in a tournament style game. They did a great job of hitting threes and shot selection, and although their defense was spotty, they played disciplined, not allowing themselves to get into foul trouble, which ultimately won them the game.

On a bit of the more realistic side, I still think the #1 ranking is a bit generous. The Big Ten schedule is going to be brutal and I think that conference will beat each other up. This team is maturing and better than last year, no doubt. But there were lapses in the zone defense that allowed Georgetown too many uncontested shots. They also turned the ball over and handled it sloppy at times. Besides ball handling, the thing I would like to see them improve is points in the paint. I do think bringing Perea in will help them with this and give Zeller some help on the inside. At this current point, it's four PGs and a forward with Zeller, considering Watford may have the size, but plays more on the outside than the inside. I would like to see them try to drive to the basket more with Olandipo and Ferell. It may sound like griping, but I am very happy with this team, I just see there is room for improvement if this team truely wants to be elite teams. They will not be able to beat top five teams on the road with three point scoring alone.

1 person likes this

A very close call there against a tough Georgetown team. While they may not be in the top 25 as of now, wouldn't be surprised to see them there, at the very least they are a tournament team. This pre-Big Ten season schedule is a little tougher with North Carolina coming up and then the team that beat them last night, Butler. This was a good win and a good game for them to play, against a tougher opponent on the road in a tournament style game. They did a great job of hitting threes and shot selection, and although their defense was spotty, they played disciplined, not allowing themselves to get into foul trouble, which ultimately won them the game.

On a bit of the more realistic side, I still think the #1 ranking is a bit generous. The Big Ten schedule is going to be brutal and I think that conference will beat each other up. This team is maturing and better than last year, no doubt. But there were lapses in the zone defense that allowed Georgetown too many uncontested shots. They also turned the ball over and handled it sloppy at times. Besides ball handling, the thing I would like to see them improve is points in the paint. I do think bringing Perea in will help them with this and give Zeller some help on the inside. At this current point, it's four PGs and a forward with Zeller, considering Watford may have the size, but plays more on the outside than the inside. I would like to see them try to drive to the basket more with Olandipo and Ferell. It may sound like griping, but I am very happy with this team, I just see there is room for improvement if this team truely wants to be elite teams. They will not be able to beat top five teams on the road with three point scoring alone.

Your pretty well heads on CD ,Zeller has been under the weather,and i do believed they played pretty well over all.They will improve as the year goes along,and they are going to get every team they plays best shot.They have taken it so far.In reference to the Hoyas they are deffinatley a top 20 team.You are also dead on on Perea he will help right away,the other boy over time.Thanks for posting :thmup: Go IU !!!

Fresh off the dismantling off NC .Great week Hoosiers,cant wait to see the addition of PERIA and Jerkins to the lineup

Not a big basketball fan anymore..( i hate watching something I can't play anymore...)...but I watched the game..and IU looks very strong...Hopefully they can keep it going...Zeller is a beast!

1 person likes this

Awesome game. :applause:

Although, I will admit that I was a little worried at half-time that NC would somehow pull off the upset. :fear:

1 person likes this

I started this IU/Pacer post, and got caught up in family issues......thank you everyone for contributing!!!

This IU team needs to bring the same focus and energy it brings at Assembly Hall to the road games. I know.....easier said than done. :) A super win last night (although I could not see it) and maybe some of IU's defensive critics will see that this team CAN play exemplary defense on the exterior.

Hanner Perea and Jurkin have not made their 'guest appearances' as yet....and Elston will bang until the 'cows come home.' Five more fouls to give :) Go Hoosiers!!!!

1 person likes this

I liked that Crean made Yogi play "point guard" and not shoot last night. The passing by Zeller and Sheehey was amazing. Hollowell is learning....he will be a scorer. Watford got a reality check not starting....and finally played great basketball.

wait until we get the two freshman off of suspension. the depth with big guys will be amazing. I honestly believe this is the team to win the championship this year. i know we still have a ways to go BUT the way that Crean has improved this team since he got to IU when we were still in our penatly phase which i still dont know why the heck IU would hire a guy who was already on probation for the same crap he did at Oklahoma, but that is beside the point. went from winning 12 two years ago i think it was to 27 last year. maybe only lose at most 3 this year??? guess we can see how good OSU is when they play duke tonight. either way IU will be in the championship game this year!!! you heard it here first lol

2 people like this

wait until we get the two freshman off of suspension. the depth with big guys will be amazing. I honestly believe this is the team to win the championship this year. i know we still have a ways to go BUT the way that Crean has improved this team since he got to IU when we were still in our penatly phase which i still dont know why the heck IU would hire a guy who was already on probation for the same crap he did at Oklahoma, but that is beside the point. went from winning 12 two years ago i think it was to 27 last year. maybe only lose at most 3 this year??? guess we can see how good OSU is when they play duke tonight. either way IU will be in the championship game this year!!! you heard it here first lol

Big 10 is a rough conference this year,very very good in my opinion.Some experts say the best,but i do believe IU is the best there :thmup:
1 person likes this

Give them about 2 years...Carolina will be back on top.....GO HEELS!!!!!!!!

They are not bad now,just young and inexperienced

Give them about 2 years...Carolina will be back on top.....GO HEELS!!!!!!!!

Just re-loading!!! :) Never a Heel fan.....but a fan of college basketball tradition....the coaches and players....truly legendary. Your team has some of the best ever! Love the enthusiasm!!! :)

I do not know about anyone else, but ND was fun to watch last night.....and the football player support was incredible!!!

Last year we had some good Pacer threads in the playoffs, and this could (should) be the Best Indiana team since the Bob Knight Era.....Now the TON CREAN ERA! If anyone is interested...I know it is back to an 82 game grind in the NBA.....college much easier to follow regularly....just let me know your thoughts. I would be glad to start threads or participate. I just wanted to gauge interest and make it orderly so we did not have two or 3 threads started, and it is OK with the mods. Thanks basketball fans. Let me know.....and of course GO :pass: :coltshelmet::coltslogo::coltshorse::coltsfb::colts: !!!!!!!!
As a lifelong Hooiser fan, I am very excited about this basketball season. However, I preferred the underdog mentallity of last season to starting off ranked #1 in the nation, because the only way to go is down. I think the Hooisers will be very good this year and have a shot at the Big Ten, but I don't believe this team is mature enough for National Title considerations this season.
will still take the 7 or 8 they put on the floor in my opinion

Okay, since my buddy BrentMc11 started this topic, Jay Kirk is a cool guy, & the great fans of Indiana have accepted a WI Badger into their home den...I want the Hoosiers to do well, but as my oldest nephew who refs will attest, I don't know diddley squat about basketball. Surprisingly though, whenever I watch college basketball with Josh, he says I am funny & quite entertaining. :funny::lol::spit:

For whatever it's worth, despite the fact that my lack of basketball knowledge might not make Bob Knight happy haha I can easily cheer for both Tom Crean & Bo Ryan! :thmup:

Tom-Crean-Indiana-Hoosiers-basketball-set-plays.jpg

BoRyan.jpg

2 people like this

Who won?

ND was strong....a 14 point win 64-50. What was great was Mante Tei'o (spell check) and the boys rooting like cheerleaders....and the court getting rushed after the game.. UK will grow. They are not very good right now....
1 person likes this

IU with a very slow start against Coppin......Oladipo, Sheehey and Abell played extremely hard!!! GO! HOOSIERS!

1 person likes this

Just got some film on Luke Fischer's first game with 28 points. My quick assessment is there is talent there, but he will obviously need to speed up his game to meet Division 1/Big 10 standards.

Look at some of the comments....like a "Poor man's Cody Zeller." We will see. He uses his body well, but I think he should be dominating more by blocking some of those shots......OK....I am being a little critical....but.....:)

http://www.insidethehall.com/2012/12/03/video-2013-commit-luke-fischer-scores-28-in-opener/

1 person likes this

Not a fan of Bleacher Report, but the Pacers are rated 18th of 30 teams. I think David West is coming around, but we need offense from George, Hill, and Hibbert in Granger's absence. Here are some ratings...I do not agree with all f them but fun to read if you have time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1429960-nba-power-rankings-where-does-every-team-stand-heading-into-december/page/14

Not a fan of Bleacher Report, but the Pacers are rated 18th of 30 teams. I think David West is coming around, but we need offense from George, Hill, and Hibbert in Granger's absence. Here are some ratings...I do not agree with all f them but fun to read if you have time.

http://bleacherrepor...ecember/page/14

HMMMMMM......80-76. Another grind it out game. The Pacers are 9-9.....Bulls are 8-8. West and Hill shot poorly, but Paul George came to play and play he did. The bench was horrendous again 2-11 shooting......Vogel just sat them they were so bad. This team needs to become more balanced. The Pacers have had maybe one good game where everyone was playing well. That said....I could not tell you which one....

College: Butler plays IUPUI tonight. (Not a big deal, but I like the Bulldogs) :)

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400277974

IM ready for the IU ,BUTLER game,and ready to see our to extra BIGS :thmup:

1 person likes this

IM ready for the IU ,BUTLER game,and ready to see our to extra BIGS :thmup:

I am definitely looking forward to this game and then the Big Ten conference. I really like the creation of the Crossroads Classic. I am glad that IU supports other Indiana basketball programs as well, with pre-conference play against several other in state teams. After Butler's defeat of North Carolina it will be an interesting game, also the fact that it's in Indy and both teams will have strong home team support. Too bad IU doesn't play ND until next year, they looked great against Kentucky.
2 people like this

Just got some film on Luke Fischer's first game with 28 points. My quick assessment is there is talent there, but he will obviously need to speed up his game to meet Division 1/Big 10 standards.

Look at some of the comments....like a "Poor man's Cody Zeller." We will see. He uses his body well, but I think he should be dominating more by blocking some of those shots......OK....I am being a little critical....but..... :)

http://www.insidethe...s-28-in-opener/

Not bad not bad at all,i think he will fit in nicely :thmup:
1 person likes this

Not bad not bad at all,i think he will fit in nicely :thmup:

I saw him when he was younger. He looks more athletic than he did....Crean will get him moving....his body will change!!!
1 person likes this

I saw him when he was younger. He looks more athletic than he did....Crean will get him moving....his body will change!!!

Yes he will be in much better shape for sure

Pacers with a nice win over the Blazers. Those 500 shots seemed to help George. He needs to keep up performances like this to at least get closer to reaching his hype (even though he's been over hyped)

Pacers with a nice win over the Blazers. Those 500 shots seemed to help George. He needs to keep up performances like this to at least get closer to reaching his hype (even though he's been over hyped)

Great point....and hold on to a lead for gosh sakes......does EVERY game need to get down to 1-5 points......?????

A video that I thought IU fans may enjoy:

Kentucky's only loss last year! WOW what a fan. Thank you for sharing shecolt....love it!!
1 person likes this

Not to change the subject or mix sports genres per say, but this really ticks me off when College Coaches in the NCAA can break signed contracts for big money while student athletes are held hostage by signed letters of intent & scholarships. This is a black eye on my Badger State right now...I am NOT HAPPY at all over this coach vs student double standard!!!

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/57422/qa-arkansas-coach-bret-bielema

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/dec/06/bielema-ready-for-rugged-sec-at-arkansas/

http://www.620wtmj.com/blogs/jefffalconio/182448411.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/12/04/bret-bielema-arkansas-wisconsin/1746989/

2 people like this

Not to change the subject or mix sports genres per say, but this really ticks me off when College Coaches in the NCAA can break signed contracts for big money while student athletes are held hostage by signed letters of intent & scholarships. This is a black eye on my Badger State right now...I am NOT HAPPY at all over this coach vs student double standard!!!

http://espn.go.com/b...ch-bret-bielema

Im with you on that one Brother!
1 person likes this

Im with you on that one Brother!

UW leads the league in this respect ....I know I had my Bo Ryan rant last year.....and Bielema bailing out on the Badgers....coaches can do it...kids are hostage....a true shame IMO. :(
1 person likes this

Here is a quick preview from ESPN on the IU game this evening. I was unaware CCSU had the nation's leading scorer.

I am thinking there i zero problem in this game, but we need to see how we extend the defense....Oladipo? Hulls? Yogi? The taller Sheehey? Something for us to watch!!! Enjoy the game!!!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=323430084