Photo

The 2004 draft QB class - 2 of them meeting this week - Big Ben and Eli Manning

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 chad72

chad72
  • 9282 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Philip Rivers and Eli Manning have met twice before - in 2005 and 2009. They will meet again in 2013.

Rivers and the Chargers won both those contests. It always felt like Rivers had the burden of Chargers nation behind him when he played Eli and he played well in both those meetings.

When the Giants gave up 2 first rounders and a 3rd rounder for Eli Manning to move up from No.4 to No.1, it was considered a lot then (peanuts compared to the RG3 trade :)).

Big Ben was there in the draft room with his agent and was mic'd up and said "they gave up way too much for Eli."

Now, in the 2 head-to-head games involving Big Ben and Eli, Big Ben won 33-30 in his rookie year at NY while Eli won 21-14 in 2008.

Do you think Big Ben still thinks about those comparisons in 2004? Big Ben and Eli have 2 SB rings while Big Ben has 3 SB appearances. Rivers is a distant third with just 1 AFCCG appearance and no SB appearance

Thoughts???.

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 21isSuperman

21isSuperman
  • Community Moderator
  • 14709 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

This was one of the better QB classes. Eli and Big Ben have both done their thing and had plenty of success in the league. Rivers has had success too, but his team is by far the worst of the three and his coach is one of the worst in the league. Don't forget that Matt Schaub was in that draft class too. 3rd round pick by Atlanta
When Bob Sanders executes a push up, he does not push himself up. He pushes the world down.
When Bob Sanders was 12, a cobra bit him in the leg. After 4 days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.
Tom Brady can throw a football pretty far. Bob Sanders can throw Tom Brady even farther.
Please make sure to read the Forum Rules before posting or PM a mod if you have any questions

#3 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7803 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

This was one of the better QB classes. Eli and Big Ben have both done their thing and had plenty of success in the league. Rivers has had success too, but his team is by far the worst of the three and his coach is one of the worst in the league. Don't forget that Matt Schaub was in that draft class too. 3rd round pick by Atlanta

Yep, looks like there are going to soon be three ringbearers from this draft class...fingers crossed. :D

Houston Texans, 2011, 2012, 2014 AFC South Champions

#4 21isSuperman

21isSuperman
  • Community Moderator
  • 14709 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Yep, looks like there are going to soon be three ringbearers from this draft class...fingers crossed. :D

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened. Philip Rivers is only 30, so there could potentially be 4 ringbearers from that class if San Diego gets their act together.

Actually, there already are 3 ringbearers. In the 6th round, one Jim Sorgi was drafted!
When Bob Sanders executes a push up, he does not push himself up. He pushes the world down.
When Bob Sanders was 12, a cobra bit him in the leg. After 4 days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.
Tom Brady can throw a football pretty far. Bob Sanders can throw Tom Brady even farther.
Please make sure to read the Forum Rules before posting or PM a mod if you have any questions

#5 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7803 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened. Philip Rivers is only 30, so there could potentially be 4 ringbearers from that class if San Diego gets their act together.

Actually, there already are 3 ringbearers. In the 6th round, one Jim Sorgi was drafted!

Darn it, forgot about Sorgi! Lol then we should expect 5. Rivers is due to get one sooner or later as well hahaha. A good QB class no doubt.

#6 buffalo34

buffalo34
  • 830 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

4 rings combined between the two. Hopefully gonna be a great game.

Since we're talking about the 2004 QB class, let's not forget our beloved 1st round pick that year, JP Losman!

#7 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7803 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

4 rings combined between the two. Hopefully gonna be a great game.

Since we're talking about the 2004 QB class, let's not forget our beloved 1st round pick that year, JP Losman!

Losman, Losman, where art thou Losman? haha

#8 oldunclemark

oldunclemark
  • 17131 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Philip Rivers and Eli Manning have met twice before - in 2005 and 2009. They will meet again in 2013.

Rivers and the Chargers won both those contests. It always felt like Rivers had the burden of Chargers nation behind him when he played Eli and he played well in both those meetings.

When the Giants gave up 2 first rounders and a 3rd rounder for Eli Manning to move up from No.4 to No.1, it was considered a lot then (peanuts compared to the RG3 trade :)).

Big Ben was there in the draft room with his agent and was mic'd up and said "they gave up way too much for Eli."

Now, in the 2 head-to-head games involving Big Ben and Eli, Big Ben won 33-30 in his rookie year at NY while Eli won 21-14 in 2008.

Do you think Big Ben still thinks about those comparisons in 2004? Big Ben and Eli have 2 SB rings while Big Ben has 3 SB appearances. Rivers is a distant third with just 1 AFCCG appearance and no SB appearance

Thoughts???.

chad.....Can we consider Philip Rivers outstanding enough to rate his 'class' with Eli M. and Ben...

..who else came out that year?

#9 buffalo34

buffalo34
  • 830 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

Losman, Losman, where art thou Losman? haha

Well, he did have his best game vs the Texans in 2006....two 83 yard bombs to Lee Evans and hitting the game winner to Peerless Price...

#10 Andy

Andy
  • 8897 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

That 2004 year is the best QB class in the last 15 years.

This year's class has the potential to beat the 2004 class.

Andy
Writer for: The Montreal Gazette, and various other websites

Posted Image

#11 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7803 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

Well, he did have his best game vs the Texans in 2006....two 83 yard bombs to Lee Evans and hitting the game winner to Peerless Price...

Yeah, the Texans seem to have given up a lot of best games to quarterbacks, runningbacks, receivers, etc. in their history...good thing those days are in the past. Looking forward to Sunday man. I wonder if Super Mario is out with a vengeance or out with an injury. Either way, it should still be an interesting game.

#12 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7803 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

That 2004 year is the best QB class in the last 15 years.

This year's class has the potential to beat the 2004 class.

Definitely...12, Griffin, Tannehill, it's going to be great watching these guys, these three in particular, grow and get better as the game moves more and more in the passing direction.

#13 buffalo34

buffalo34
  • 830 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Yeah, the Texans seem to have given up a lot of best games to quarterbacks, runningbacks, receivers, etc. in their history...good thing those days are in the past. Looking forward to Sunday man. I wonder if Super Mario is out with a vengeance or out with an injury. Either way, it should still be an interesting game.

Our run D is outright pitiful. Foster Fantasy owners will feel like billionaires come Sunday. Anything less than 200 yards is a disappointment. Texans D will also be good enough to take away our running game (not that we ever play to our strength with it anyway) and they'll force us into all pass mode (and Gailey abandons the run at the first sign of adversity, so that should happen fast).

#14 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7803 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

Our run D is outright pitiful. Foster Fantasy owners will feel like billionaires come Sunday. Anything less than 200 yards is a disappointment. Texans D will also be good enough to take away our running game (not that we ever play to our strength with it anyway) and they'll force us into all pass mode (and Gailey abandons the run at the first sign of adversity, so that should happen fast).

Hey, I don't know, everyone thought the Packers would be one dimensional against us but Rodgers lit up our secondary horribly. Receivers were catching balls that I didn't think possible. I hope our front 7 can stuff C.J. quickly because if he gets going, then the passing game will open up and Stevie Johnson will be a big target. This game is going to be decided in the trenches, that's for sure. I don't know if it's true but I believe Ben Tate will be out Sunday, so the Bills will get a dose of Justin Forsett. He could be the game-changer, because if he fills in for Foster well enough, then our play action and nakeds will not become predictable. If he doesn't, however, then let's just say Dareus and Anderson will join Mario in his quest for #8...

#15 buffalo34

buffalo34
  • 830 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Well, for one thing, going up against Rodgers is a heckuva lot different than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Your defense looks scary good and Green Bay was the only team they really had problems playing against. For crying out loud you just flat out beat up Flacco and the Ravens.

And even if your second RB is out, you'll still have plenty of weapons to maul our defense. It's been very uncreative and super vanilla and we never do anything creative, like blitz. So if we rush 4 all day, it's going to be a long day.

Funnty thing is, I used to not like the Texans, and that's because they were once playing in Peyton's division (it's his division, you're just playing in it :P). But now with him moving onto better things in the NFL, I've warmed up to the Texans a lot.

#16 21isSuperman

21isSuperman
  • Community Moderator
  • 14709 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Definitely...12, Griffin, Tannehill, it's going to be great watching these guys, these three in particular, grow and get better as the game moves more and more in the passing direction.

Russell Wilson isn't doing too bad for himself. And Weeden has been steadily improving. Let's not forget the potential Osweiller has after Peyton. And Nick Foles might be starting soon too

#17 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7803 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Well, for one thing, going up against Rodgers is a heckuva lot different than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Your defense looks scary good and Green Bay was the only team they really had problems playing against. For crying out loud you just flat out beat up Flacco and the Ravens.

And even if your second RB is out, you'll still have plenty of weapons to maul our defense. It's been very uncreative and super vanilla and we never do anything creative, like blitz. So if we rush 4 all day, it's going to be a long day.

Funnty thing is, I used to not like the Texans, and that's because they were once playing in Peyton's division (it's his division, you're just playing in it :P). But now with him moving onto better things in the NFL, I've warmed up to the Texans a lot.

You're right, it was his division. haha Last year, we chanted " We're not gonna take it anymore" and took it by force hahaha. Now hopefully it will be ours for some time hahaha. I hope PM knows we aren't done with him yet...we will probably be seeing him consistently in the playoffs until he retires, and we're going to give it our all to make sure he doesn't get to the Big One. :dancing:

#18 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7803 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Russell Wilson isn't doing too bad for himself. And Weeden has been steadily improving. Let's not forget the potential Osweiller has after Peyton. And Nick Foles might be starting soon too

I haven't seen much of Wilson but he could be the Brady if you will of this bunch. Well, not in terms of talent, but the whole late round draft pick factor who rose from adversity and managed to start and sustain success early. Weeden was good in college and I knew he would translate well. I don't think his ceiling is as high as the others though, because it might take a few years for Cleveland to assemble the right pieces for him to get his team to actually contend. Osweiler isn't going to be playing for a while, just like Mallett up in NE lol...but they both have the potential for sure. I'm iffy on Nick Foles, he plays well, but one of his knocks coming out of Arizona was his lack of athleticism. With that line in Philly, he would be running for his life and unfortunately I don't think he's as fast as Vick lol. But I wouldn't mind seeing some change-up there. Two rookie starters in the NFC East, with teams who can actually contend. Who would've thunk it.

#19 RGIII

RGIII
  • 1115 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

I haven't seen much of Wilson but he could be the Brady if you will of this bunch. Well, not in terms of talent, but the whole late round draft pick factor who rose from adversity and managed to start and sustain success early.

I don't know that I'd call a 3rd round pick a late round pick. Maybe you could call him the Schaub of this draft, though ;)

#20 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7803 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

I don't know that I'd call a 3rd round pick a late round pick. Maybe you could call him the Schaub of this draft, though ;)

You're right...I actually like that comparison better. :number1: haha

#21 buffalo34

buffalo34
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Bills not really being blown out....but did I nail the fact that we hate running the ball even though we have two great backs or what?

#22 the cardinal

the cardinal
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Come on Giants! A Steeler loss would certainly help. :blueshoe:

#23 Bogie

Bogie
  • 2279 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

The QB is not everything, that's what Eli and Big Ben proved in that game. Sure their good, but I get sick of hearing about it like the QB is just everything.

okv09w.jpg

#24 ColtsBlueFL

ColtsBlueFL

Off IR but on to the PUP list

• Forum Moderator
  • 3260 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Ahem.... uh... yeah. ;)

So, 5 is still a possibility?
“There’s no question he’s (Luck) a complete football player and one of the top quarterbacks in this league already. He has a great career in front of him but I think he’s already established himself as a very poised and talented player that can do a lot of things to beat you and he manages his team well and plays good situational football.” -New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      30 Sep
    T Y Goodbye

I'm out of the hospital, FINALLY...this was the 4th time in the past 2 months..for status, please read my soon to be posted update in the Fantasy Football forum here...and thanks everyone, for the love, caring, thoughts and prayers...

Show comments (6)
  • Photo
      30 Sep
    Jules

I really want to see "Gone Girl". I read the book a while ago and it was excellent. The movie does not look too bad but I am sure it is a bit different then the book.

Show comments (11)
  • Photo
      30 Sep
    ruksak

I saw a sign that said "Watch for falling rocks". It seemed so negative. I think it should say "Watch for pretty rocks".

Show comments (2)
View All Updates