•  

Photo

Pro Wrestling Appreciation Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#41 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6647 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

John Cena enjoying the spotlight.

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#42 T Y Goodbye

T Y Goodbye

Formerly known as CF4L

• 1868 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Can you believe that outside of wrestling, "The Animal" was a college professor?..I loved any match with George...Enjoy!

The man no one corner can stop...

#43 100GFB

100GFB
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

never heard of him

Mark Lewin wrestled into the 90's then retired. If you google him it'll come out. Think he was one of three Lewin brothers to wrestle.

#44 chadedward

chadedward
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

Can you believe that outside of wrestling, "The Animal" was a college professor?..I loved any match with George...Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/osK12ePg2xY

Have you seen "Ed Wood"? He acts in it. Good movie.

#45 corgi

corgi
  • 2410 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

Have you seen "Ed Wood"? He acts in it. Good movie.

Fantastic Film, Depp was great, Bill Murray was hilarious!

#46 Jason_S

Jason_S
  • 5601 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

Classic Matches for me are Bret Hart vs The British Bulldog, Sgt Slaughter vs Hulk Hogan, Big Van Vader vs Sting. Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior. Rick Flair vs Sting, Ricky The Dragon Steam Boat vs Randy Savage. Hogan turning Heel was an all time classic move. As well as Jake The Snake Roberts snake biting Randy Savage or Ultimate Warrior being betrayed by Jake the Snake or Shawn Micheals betrayal of Marty Janetty (which if memory serves me right happened in 1991) also the same year of the Undertakers debut but before he was the Undertaker he was Mad Mark in a tag team

Before becoming undertaker he was mean mark callous and was subbed in as a member of the skyscrapers after sid vicious got hurt. :)

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 was a great day for the State of Indiana!

#47 chadedward

chadedward
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

I really don't care for the John Cena/AJ Lee angle.

#48 Gavin

Gavin
  • 17042 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

I really don't care for the John Cena/AJ Lee angle.

I dont really care for any of the angles going on today, they ar ecompletely misusing Ted Dibiase. For a while they turned the Big Show into a softy, about the only thing they have done right is the Alberto Del Rio angle, They had Ryback competing for the world title instead of guys like Randy Orton, It seems the WWE could care less about what made them as popular as they are today and thats great Gimmicks

#49 Vltrophy1

Vltrophy1
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

At least 80% of of Pro Wrestling is Fake. Body slam someone on a real table & not a break away table & the guy will be hurt for real. They put their hand on the turnbuckle when they get their head slammed into it. These guys have a beer & a meal together after they're finished.

#50 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6647 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

At least 80% of of Pro Wrestling is Fake. Body slam someone on a real table & not a break away table & the guy will be hurt for real. They put their hand on the turnbuckle when they get their head slammed into it. These guys have a beer & a meal together after they're finished.

It's 100% fake, everyone knows this. They only allow themselves to actually get hurt when they really want to sell something, like Mic Foley being thrown from the top of the cell for example. Then there are accidents which seem to cause the biggest injuries.

The WWE would not be able to function if it wasn't staged, these guys have to travel together, eat together, put on a good show together. If it was real, a wrestlers career would be very short, too short for fan favorites to emerge.

#51 100GFB

100GFB
  • 576 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

The "E" in WWE stands for Entertainment. People pay $X for concerts, football, baseball and movies to get their fix on entertainment, some will pay the same amount o get their fix by wrestling. It may not be true wrestling but they are athletes and entertainers, it is said that the one group that really support the wrestlers are other athletes from other sports. They know what it is to train and what it takes to put your body through 300+ days a year. Fake no it's not, a better word may be cheorographed or scripted. Remember playing with your young son or nephew wrestling on the carpet - bet you were tired and sweaty after a few minutes. Imagine doing that with a 250+ person, heck you'd better be in shape. Ever see a 250lbs+ gymnast in the Olympics, the wrestlers are not world class gymnast but a 250+ pounder doing flips off the top ropes is very impressive!

Yes you have your point of view and is well taken but this is not a sport but entertainment. The wrestlers are well conditioned athletes and entertainers. I'm showing my age but using old movies, can someone say Johnny Rambo could take on Dutch Schultz, the Alien or the Terminator? Yes because it's scripted. People pay for a scripted movie and people pay for a scripted wrestling match. Entertainment.

Another one, many times if you're watching a wrestler may go down and you're yelling for your favorite to jump on him but your favorite is taunting the fans then the ref gets involved by pushing your favorite away. Know why? The wrestler down is injured and he's being given time to recover. They do get hit and they do get injured.

Thanks guys and all of you have a good one!

#52 chadedward

chadedward
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

The "E" in WWE stands for Entertainment. People pay $X for concerts, football, baseball and movies to get their fix on entertainment, some will pay the same amount o get their fix by wrestling. It may not be true wrestling but they are athletes and entertainers, it is said that the one group that really support the wrestlers are other athletes from other sports. They know what it is to train and what it takes to put your body through 300+ days a year. Fake no it's not, a better word may be cheorographed or scripted. Remember playing with your young son or nephew wrestling on the carpet - bet you were tired and sweaty after a few minutes. Imagine doing that with a 250+ person, heck you'd better be in shape. Ever see a 250lbs+ gymnast in the Olympics, the wrestlers are not world class gymnast but a 250+ pounder doing flips off the top ropes is very impressive!

Yes you have your point of view and is well taken but this is not a sport but entertainment. The wrestlers are well conditioned athletes and entertainers. I'm showing my age but using old movies, can someone say Johnny Rambo could take on Dutch Schultz, the Alien or the Terminator? Yes because it's scripted. People pay for a scripted movie and people pay for a scripted wrestling match. Entertainment.

Another one, many times if you're watching a wrestler may go down and you're yelling for your favorite to jump on him but your favorite is taunting the fans then the ref gets involved by pushing your favorite away. Know why? The wrestler down is injured and he's being given time to recover. They do get hit and they do get injured.

Thanks guys and all of you have a good one!

Thank you!

#53 chadedward

chadedward
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

The new nWo dvd is a little disappointing.

#54 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6647 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Is it me or does this " rogue ref " look a lot like Eric Bischoff?

#55 chadedward

chadedward
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Is it me or does this " rogue ref " look a lot like Eric Bischoff?

Yes! Like he could be Eric's younger brother.

#56 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6647 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm thinking its his son but its probably a coincidence.

#57 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6647 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

I finally did some research. This is weird Jackson James, Eric Bischoffs son, also played a part as a rogue ref. Kinda ironic.

http://bleacherrepor...gle-of-the-year

#58 oldunclemark

oldunclemark
  • 15608 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

It's 100% fake, everyone knows this. They only allow themselves to actually get hurt when they really want to sell something, like Mic Foley being thrown from the top of the cell for example. Then there are accidents which seem to cause the biggest injuries.

The WWE would not be able to function if it wasn't staged, these guys have to travel together, eat together, put on a good show together. If it was real, a wrestlers career would be very short, too short for fan favorites to emerge.

Exactly Joker..its a show..and if you dont know how the matches come out...it doenst matter if its planned or not...

I just enjoy the ability of those people to put on a show....52 weeks a year..nobody else does that

guys and girls walk out there with nothing but a bad set of tights and entertain.....

The characters they create and the stunts they do....the way they weave reality into the show....

.......there's really nothing like it on TV....

#59 chadedward

chadedward
  • 408 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

I finally did some research. This is weird Jackson James, Eric Bischoffs son, also played a part as a rogue ref. Kinda ironic.

http://bleacherrepor...gle-of-the-year

That's interesting. Does Paul Heyman have a son? Lol.

#60 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6647 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

Just to be clear, our rogue ref isn't E.B.'s son. Eric just has a son who played a rogue ref on TNA.

#61 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6647 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

That's interesting. Does Paul Heyman have a son? Lol.

Hope not but he adopts a lot of superstars anyway.

#62 chadedward

chadedward
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

ECW! ECW! ECW!

#63 Indyfan4life

Indyfan4life

King Optimistic

• 1312 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

I still watch Raw sometimes, but the story lines have become so watered down. I know the show have a "PG" rating, but I think it's time for that to be over. I'm not saying go back to the Attitude era by any means, but they definitely need to be a little edgier (no pun intended) to attract the older audience again. I haven't been to a live WWE event since probably 05/06. The last show before that was great. Went to Smackdown when they were in Louisville, and this was when Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Hogan, Benoit and Guerrero were still wrestling. The show seemed so much more adult oriented. Seeing Angle use the Angle Slam on Lesnar onto a steel chair and hearing the pop was insane. This was the show where Vince McMahon "stabbed" Hogan in the side of the head several times with a pen.

It's also when John Cena was the Dr. of Thuganomics. If that tells you how long ago it was.

If something like that happened now, good lord. All these soccer moms who let their kids watch because of WWE's "resident Superman" John Cena saw this, there would be a massive rage.

#64 Gavin

Gavin
  • 17042 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

I think some of the gimmicks are not even close to being used correctly, for example Ted Dibiase, you would think with his father being the million dollar man that they would want to capitalize on that gimmick, have him do some Vignettes at Wall Street or at a Mansion, Bring back the cruiser weight division, The tag team division is all but dead.I guess I am just a fan of the early 90's WWF days.Wrestling sure has changed from when I was a kid

#65 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6647 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

I've noticed some of the acting, which was always somewhat bad, is getting very childish(Daniel Bryant and Kane for example)some of the lines I've heard lately sound like its straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon...but then a week later you have Cena and AJ biting each others face.

#66 Gavin

Gavin
  • 17042 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

I've noticed some of the acting, which was always somewhat bad, is getting very childish(Daniel Bryant and Kane for example)some of the lines I've heard lately sound like its straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon...but then a week later you have Cena and AJ biting each others face.

Mhhm they turned Kane into laughing stock now like they were doing with the Big Show a ways back, went to the pay per view this past sunday with friends though, had good food but the pay per view couldn't hold my attention

#67 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6647 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Mhhm they turned Kane into laughing stock now like they were doing with the Big Show a ways back, went to the pay per view this past sunday with friends though, had good food but the pay per view couldn't hold my attention

They don't do anything special in pay perviews anymore, for example, the heck in the Cell is kinda a joke compared to what it used to be. Usually something controversial happens but I hardly see anything " extreme ". Brock VS Cena was the last match that was " extreme" in a awhile.

#68 Gavin

Gavin
  • 17042 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

They don't do anything special in pay perviews anymore, for example, the heck in the Cell is kinda a joke compared to what it used to be. Usually something controversial happens but I never see anything " extreme ".

Mhhm its like Vince quit caring either that or I just grew out of wrestling

#69 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6647 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Example of childish lines..

Booker: Don't worry about who your opponent is, you will find out when you get in the ring.
Show: .....Booker... It's not Shamus, is it????

Or anything Daniel Bryant says are good examples.

#70 chadedward

chadedward
  • 408 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Last two WWE PPVs have been a joke as far as endings are concerned.

#71 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 13542 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Does anyone remember the WWF Saturday Morning Cartoon?
Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#72 T Y Goodbye

T Y Goodbye

Formerly known as CF4L

• 1868 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Does anyone remember the WWF Saturday Morning Cartoon?

I remember seeing it in the listings, but never watched it..

I still watch Raw sometimes, but the story lines have become so watered down. I know the show have a "PG" rating, but I think it's time for that to be over. I'm not saying go back to the Attitude era by any means, but they definitely need to be a little edgier (no pun intended) to attract the older audience again. I haven't been to a live WWE event since probably 05/06. The last show before that was great. Went to Smackdown when they were in Louisville, and this was when Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Hogan, Benoit and Guerrero were still wrestling. The show seemed so much more adult oriented. Seeing Angle use the Angle Slam on Lesnar onto a steel chair and hearing the pop was insane. This was the show where Vince McMahon "stabbed" Hogan in the side of the head several times with a pen.

It's also when John Cena was the Dr. of Thuganomics. If that tells you how long ago it was.

If something like that happened now, good lord. All these soccer moms who let their kids watch because of WWE's "resident Superman" John Cena saw this, there would be a massive rage.

I agree totally...The story lines are so bad now..and its all hyped through Cena, Punk, and The Rock (who's coming back to fight Punk)Though even though the feud between Shaemus and Show, they have been bashing each other with chairs, and not just one..

You should have seen wrestling back in the days, with all the foreign objects, chairs..none of this high-flying acrobatics they do now..The interviews were..I'm gonna beat your head in...and wham that was exactly what the matches were..two ugly guys beating each other until one or the other just couldn't go any more..Gone are the days of Ric Flair defending his title in a 60 minute draw...Gone are the tower of doom, (three cages stacked on each other..leather strap matches, cow bell matches...bunkhouse brawls..there are no good tag teams..I miss the Road Warriors, the Horsemen, the Steiner Brothers..DX (with Chyna), Bockwinkle and Stevens, The Wild Samoans...

Most of the time nowadays, I just dvr the show, and fast forward through the stupidity of the gimmicks..which leaves about 15 minutes out of 3 ho0urs of Raw...

Its really sad..cause wrestling is fun to watch...the past couple years..its just sad...(but I still watch)

The man no one corner can stop...

#73 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 13542 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I remember seeing it in the listings, but never watched it..

Thank You
Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#74 Playmaker

Playmaker
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

I use to love wrestling back when I was a kid. It seems the story lines are getting watered down and boring now.

#75 Gavin

Gavin
  • 17042 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

I remember the WWF Cartoon

COLTS TICKETS!

3-Game Ticket Packages Available

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates