Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck ranked #1 among qbs so far

Case

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, raise the roof at LO! Make Rodgers wish that the replacements were back. :cheer:haha

May Havoc (Freeney) and Mayhem (Mathis) wipe that lil grin off of Discount Double-Check's face :) A nicely timed blitz from Freeman, Angerer or Conner would be a nice twist as well....just like Houston's 150 'Watt" bulb!! :)

Our offense has faced good defenses and good pass rushers in Julius Peppers and Jared Allen. We were still able to produce touchdowns and points against those defenses. I don't think that the Packer's defense is any better and I think that we'll be able to move the ball and put up points. It's our defense that has allowed too many points, so I see this as being a good effort by our offense but too mcuh firepower from the Packers for our defense to hold up.

14-31 Packers

Luck has shown that he can elude the rush and keep his eyes down field to find open receivers.

May Havoc (Freeney) and Mayhem (Mathis) wipe that lil grin off of Discount Double-Check's face :) A nicely timed blitz from Freeman, Angerer or Conner would be a nice twist as well....just like Houston's 150 'Watt" bulb!! :)

Yep, it's about time we mixed the All-State and State Farm commercials! Mayhem, meet Discount Double Sack! Hahahahaha. And Watt's probably calling up Freeney and telling him to save him a piece of the QB for Thursday night lol.

FIRST!

QBR is a really complicated QB rating system that ESPN came up with. It is supposed to be more accurate than the traditional QB efficiency rating system that is currently used. QBR supposedly takes into account the situation a QB is in and what he does. For example, INTs hurt a QB's efficiency rating, period. But in QBR, I believe an INT thrown when the game is still undecided is given more weight than an INT thrown when you are on the losing side of a blowout and just chucking it to comeback. Other things include scrambles that gain first down are given more weight than a designed QB run play.

Bottom-line, it's supposed to be a more accurate measurement of QB performance than the traditional rating system.

Perfect example of why the QBR fails the ole eyeball test because this is simply not the case.

I give the QBR as much merit as Skip Bayless' top 10 QB list.

It ends up being somewhat of an advertisement for ESPN...

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Do not know the details, but yes it most definitely is considered a better way rate QB's than reg system that we always see noted

However an even more intricate system taken just about every situation one can think of into account using all the plays involved with basically , at least all the main plays cant remember exactly and done 2 ways DVAR & DVOR is used by football outsiders & used for all positions

I actually may be wrong QBR may be a better rating but the DVAR & DVOR accounts for the quality of the Defense played against

Anyway all 3 are explained in intricate with link below

NOTE the link below explains QBR but also gives their own system as well , see link i

The chart on the page is ordered by DYAR but has columns for DVOA & QBR with each rank so can compare & Others explained like

all 3 include for example DPI that takes into account plays and yards where QB drew pass interferance & other weird info

all are expalined

DYAR ( total Value is a # ) Brady #1 @ 427 , Peyton # 2 @ 368, Luck # 17

&

DVOA ( Value Per Play is done as a % and some are even negative )

Brady # 1 a plus 30 % , Peyton # 3 a Plus 24.8 % , Luck # 18 yet - 0.10 %

check chart & Link , sorry fingers no longer working & must stop typing

http://www.footballo...om/stats/qb2012

Meant to DELETE THIS LINE FRom The Above BUT WAS TO LATE BY TIME MY fingers worked again & COUKLD EDIT

soory stil l finger spsms

The page on football outsiders has link at top so can go to any year from 94 onward if want to evaluate systems over time for yourself

NOTE the link below explains QBR but also gives their own system as well , see link i

Meant to DELETE THIS LINE FRom The Above BUT WAS TO LATE BY TIME MY fingers worked again & COUKLD EDIT

soory stil l finger spsms

The page on football outsiders has link at top so can go to any year from 94 onward if want to evaluate systems over time for yourself

Hey Barry, no need to apologise. Thanks for that. Hope you doing ok.

But if we are to compare Luck and Griff, we have to take several factors into account. Of all QB's in the league after three weeks, Luck had the highest percentage of plays where he faced pressure. Higher than any other QB in the league according to NFL statistics, (can't find the stats at the moment, but it was provided on another thread). We are also ranked among the lowest teams for rush yards, while the Redskins have one of the best. We all know that a good rushing offense is a QBs best friend. This means basically that Luck has to carry the Colt's offense, while Griff has the luxury to play his role in the offense. This is not a knock on Griffen, as he has performed brilliantly. Nonetheless, I always find myself asking what would happen if they had switched teams?

yeah I agree with pretty much everything you just said. Its a matter of perspective though - yes the running game helps immensely, but a large part of the reason the skins have had the success on the ground is the presence of Griffin and his physical talents. If Luck were there, it would actually be easier to defend the run and I would contend that the production wouldn't be as high. Part of the reason Luck faces the pressure he does is because of the lack of a running game...its a catch-22. I don't know that we can really even compare if they switched teams because the offensive style is so different between the colts and the skins -- and that is in part because of who they drafted. If Griff went to Indy, I don't think they would be running the same offense you see Luck running...so its really hard to say. Don't get me wrong, I think Luck is a once-in-a-generation talent at QB, but I also believe that the "potential" of Griffin is higher because of his superior physical tools and still shows the poise and intelligence needed to be a great passer too.

Personally, I'd say Griffin has had the better start, but both have looked very good for rookies. Longevity is another key attribute, and Griffin will not be able to maintain his current style of play if he wants to stay healthy. This has a lot to do with the long term vision, and how the coaches/back office see the future direction of their franchise. Luck could definitely use his legs way more than he is doing now, but I believe the Colts are in no (relative) hurry to get back in the Super Bowl hunt, whereas the Redskins are desperate to do so, after so many lean years. They are ignoring the dangers of Griffins style of play. A side issue perhaps, but an important one.....

From the very small sample of games to date, Luck's long ball is not his strongest suite, that is for sure. If the same applies in year 3, then I'd be worried.

I'm with you. Griff does need to take less punishment or else he just won't last that long. I think Shanahan is bringing him along gradually, and you see more and more of an element of straight drop-back passing as the weeks progress (except the 2nd half of the Bengals game where they had to resort to a lot of the triple option because the Bengals DL was causing them fits). I think as the games go on and he gets more experience under his belt, you'll see him take less hits. You can't just cut out the running altogether though as that what makes him so hard to defend. However I think they will need to rely on it less and less as time goes on.

Griff's long ball was a little shakey the first week and somewhat on the 2nd week, but you can definitely see major improvement over the last couple weeks as he's gotten his timing down with the WRs. QwizBoy mentioned too all of the pass interference penalties they've gotten....there has been a few of them and they tend to come at good times for them. They may not have gotten out of New Orleans with a win if it wasn't for a 4th down penalty on a deep pass to the endzone. His WRs have also dropped a couple deep passes that hit them in the hands (or in the face in one instance :) )

As for Luck - some accuracy is mechanics, some is due to pressure, and some is just timing not quite being there. A certain amount of accuracy is just inherent ability, but some can be practiced and/or coached. Luck will get there I have no doubt. I just think Griff has more of an innate feel for it is all. That was a known trait about them both in college too, so its not like its ground-breaking news.

I think in 5 years, you'll be talking about both of these players as being in the top echelon of NFL QBs (the way we refer to Brady, Rogers, Brees, Manning being ahead of all the others). Of course, that's barring injury or an unforeseen collapse. I don't see any reason why either one of the won't be successful. I think Griff will continue to get a lot of the hype just because of the style of play and the dynamic talent. Luck will be the guy that quietly gets the job done. That's the nature of the NFL and the fans/media that feed it.

u just take it one day at a time as they say, I am sure we all have issues to deal with and there are always some worse off than us

Thanks for your thoughts / well wishes

Here is a system That totally confuses Me , maybe it didnt then but right now I just cant get into it anyway results put manning Much higher than Brady but Sammy Baugh blows all away & Elway isnt even up there so right away I know this is weird

Inking The QB

From Feb 2011

http://www.18to88.com/2011-archives/february/inking-the-quarterbacks.html

some where on my computer is an article on why Quarter back rating system is flawed but cant find, did find one that is on MVP and shows why Peyton was at a disadvantage compared to Brady who was one of many QBs with an extra " Lock " vote if they were in the discussion leading up to vote , based on fact what writers cover a team / city and which ones & # from a particular city get a vote , more from City u play in Vote then odds are u get their vote if decision is somewhat close , sometimes even if not close as a favorite son

Again I do not mean to dismiss Tom Terrific's achievements, just reprinting an article thats I found interesting

Looking inside year-end award process

Flawed MVP Voting Process ,Real Eye Opener & Why Peyton Shared 1 with McNair & should of won outright

http://espn.go.com/b...d-award-process

Again I do not mean to dismiss Tom Terrific's achievements, just reprinting an article thats I found interesting