Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Grey Hoodie, Bill Belichick, And "The Patriot Way"...

southwest1

Since I typically refer to the New Patriots as the elite franchise in the NFL based on their 3 SuperBowl wins and 5 Lombardi appearances since 2001, I wanted to examine what makes this organization so Championship driven and a model of competitive consistency. Yes, it all begins at the top with owner Robert Kraft, clutch field general Tom Brady, and the reserved, yet brilliant Bill Belichick.

I don't know what fascinates me more...Bill's press conferences which tell you nothing or the media's compulsion to believe that perhaps someday Bill might actually say something juicy, provocative, and shockingly open, detailed, and transparent.

http://youtu.be/tk2kOAf1zP8

Does working for a tight lipped organization and not letting the outside world penetrate the locker room walls i.e. "The Patriot Way" mean that seasoned QB veteran Tom Brady can't advocate his support publicly for fellow team mates like WR Wes Welker who have proven their value 10 fold to your Foxboro organization too? Naturally, behind closed doors Brady might be demanding that the Patriots keep Welker on their active roster. I have no way to verify that though.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8394551

Owner Robert Kraft even said that Tom Brady is more talented than HOF QB Joe Montana. I don't know if I agree wholeheartedly with that statement, but I do respect the confidence of that statement emerging start from the Head Honcho at the top of the entire organization. I love serious, unabashed moxy myself.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8321994

The Patriots may be my #1 Indianapolis Colts NFL rival, but that doesn't mean my respect for that class team diminishes in any way, shape, or form either. I may deplore and despise the Dallas Cowboys, but I have profound admiration for my Boston based, gridiron adversaries.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I was listening to a press conf today. Same ol'

Reporter: Does it feel different being 1-2

Bill: We don't talk about records

Reporter: asking about the ref shove

Bill: I've said all I'm going to say on that. What ever the league decides I'll respect.

He will talk about the opponent's players when asked but thats about it. :)

To answer your question about Brady on Welker or things like that...yeah he has a lot of pull behind closed doors including Kraft but publicly its the "Patriot tight lip way"

Whoa...Bill Belichick does really have a cool personality when he let's his guard down a little bit. The Grey Hoodie is X's and O's wicked smart too.

He kicked major caboose as the NY Giants DC under Bill Parcells. :worthy:

http://youtu.be/S2zzX2mkoHk

I will always respect Bill too for the props he gave to WR Randy Moss too.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/08/bill-belichick-calls-randy-moss-one-of-the-great-players-hes-ever-coached.html

3 NFL genius's respecting 1 another: Belichick, Brady, and Manning. Nice... :thmup:

Watch Bill Belichick: A Football Life. Fascinating stuff (that whole series, really).

Yes, I've seen that episode with Bill in it too. Good stuff. It made me laugh when Bill told CBS NFL analyst Greg Gumbel that he had to call his car dealership to have them reset his dashboard clock for daylight savings time. There's something mildly humorous and refreshing about famous celebrities having trouble with mundane tasks to me. It humanizes larger than life icons in society.

This was my favorite part...Brilliance personified.

Tom Brady has come so far from his humble NFL beginnings. Kudos Tom. Well done sir. :thmup:

This is why I refer to the NE Patriots as "America's Team" right now...Making necessary adjustments, preparation for anything/everything on the field, and cutting seasoned pros when the situation dictated it.

It's nice to see RB Corey Dillion in this clip. A fantastic back IMO.

In 2007, part of me wanted the Patriots to win every game just to shut up Mercury Morris and 1972 perfect NFL season veterans up for good. I'm glad Eli Manning and the NY Giants won, but Mercury Morris gets on my nerves man. Just go away already please. Thank you.

331_Mercury_Morris_football_card.jpg

I am never 100% sure about how good coaches really are. My husband has this pet peeve that football coaches are not geniuses; DaVinci and Einstein are. And I cannot disagree. How much of Belichick's success due to luck? No one knew Brady was going to be any good. Otherwise he wouldn't have been picked in the 6th round. Do you remember when Shanahan was called a genius and a mastermind? He did pick Terrell Davis, yeah, but not until the 6th round. I did believe some of the genius hype on Shanny, but he hasn't been able to recapture the magic yet. I'm not saying Belichick isn't a great coach, but football being such a complicated team sport that I am never sure.

The "Patriot Way" in a nutshell. Hard work, no excuses, no pre Madonnas allowed, and determination typically trumps natural skill 9 times out 10. Ryan Grigson, Chuck Pagano, and Jim Irsay also posses this mindset and philosophy too.

Put your nose to the grindstone and go to work. Week in week out. Without exception.

http://youtu.be/gJIi1fxP4k4

Watch Bill Belichick: A Football Life. Fascinating stuff (that whole series, really).

The book a "football coach" is really good. I hardly read (too boring for me) so I didn't read much except the strategy he used on the Rams SB which was amazing. The first part of the book is his father and younger life.

tuck tuck tuck - amazing how a horribly bad call like that can totally change history .... ;)

Yup, the zebras on the field messed up that call/misinterpreted that call completely wrong. But, to Tom Brady's credit, he maintained his composure despite the controversy and he put his team in the best position to win.

http://youtu.be/pDQAmuZ8t94

CBA solidarity, 10 years of nonstop NFL football, and Bob Kraft..Thank you Robert and Jeff Saturday too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/video-saturday-kraft-embrace-at-cba-press-conference?urn=nfl,wp3866

Hey, can Robert and Jeff reunite to bring the regular zebras back too? Sounds good to me man. :funny:haha:lol:

Money can't buy love, but it can secure some nice "eye candy" right Mr. Kraft. Just Kidding!!!

2fdabc25-b81c-4db2-b431-da85d3405180-big(26).jpg

Belichick is actually a really cool, fun, nice guy. He just hates the media...understandably. I could go on for a long time about my opinions of Brady, Belichick, Kraft, and the Pats, but that would take too long. While I understand we have a rivalry and a small part of me likes to see them lose because of our rivalry, I have nothing but respect for those guys.

Some people might question why I would feel compelled to create a blog entry on the NE Patriots on an Indianapolis Colts site. A fair question. My answer: I'm paying homage to the best team in the league because Belichick, Brady, and Kraft are my measuring stick of excellence. It is what I strive for as we rebuild, retool, and revamp our Horseshoe franchise in INDY. The Foxboro organization is class act from top to bottom and they manage to win year after year without fail. I admire that.

Let's clash swords, horns, and shields and reunite the best rival in professional football: :colts: vs. :flyingelvis:

Plus, I want Yehoodi, VL, Go Pats, and Flying Elvis to know that not every Colts fan disrespects your Championship Patriots either. :thmup:

Belichick is actually a really cool, fun, nice guy. He just hates the media...understandably. I could go on for a long time about my opinions of Brady, Belichick, Kraft, and the Pats, but that would take too long. While I understand we have a rivalry and a small part of me likes to see them lose because of our rivalry, I have nothing but respect for those guys.

Thanks 21isSuperman! I really appreciate your honesty and objectivity in your response. The best rivalries begin and end with toughness, tenacity, intelligence, and mutual respect for 1 another as competitors and as men after a rigorous 3 hour game of spent emotions and athletic fire and passion.

Thanks 21isSuperman! I really appreciate your honesty and objectivity in your response. The best rivalries begin and end with toughness, tenacity, intelligence, and mutual respect for 1 another as competitors and as men after a rigorous 3 hour game of spent emotions and athletic fire and passion.

This is one of the best posts I've ever read. Well said, my friend.

I am never 100% sure about how good coaches really are. My husband has this pet peeve that football coaches are not geniuses; DaVinci and Einstein are. And I cannot disagree. How much of Belichick's success due to luck? No one knew Brady was going to be any good. Otherwise he wouldn't have been picked in the 6th round. Do you remember when Shanahan was called a genius and a mastermind? He did pick Terrell Davis, yeah, but not until the 6th round. I did believe some of the genius hype on Shanny, but he hasn't been able to recapture the magic yet. I'm not saying Belichick isn't a great coach, but football being such a complicated team sport that I am never sure.

BAB,

You and your husband indirectly bring up a fascinating question: How much of Coach Belichick's NFL success is directly linked to luck? True, Tom Brady literally fell into his lap and no other franchise saw how great Brady would ultimately become, but Belichick is to be commended for picking his staff and for molding Tom into the HOF player he is today.

Genius-“Somebody with exceptional ability, especially one whose intellectual or creative achievements gain worldwide recognition. A rare talent in a specific field, occupation, or hobby.”

I beg to disagree respectfully with your husband though. Genius is not simply restricted or limited just to scientists, artists, and creative and critical thinkers though. Naturally, Tom Brady gets grossly overpaid for throwing a football with precision accuracy. No one can debate that. However, Tom doesn't dictate or control what society is willing to pay him for that unique skill. My point is: Genius isn't defined by the value society may or may not place on a certain skill, but rather repetition with flawless execution almost every time you use your landmark natural talent either as a musician, brain surgeon, world renowned painter, famous scientist, or internationally known football quarterback.

Where genius becomes interesting is when you compare child prodigies with a person who becomes a fluent expert in their respective field of study through rigorous hours of learning, applying, and implementing what they have learned through laborious years of hands on training and experienced trial and error to become a self made genius in their own right like Steve Jobs, the founder and creator of Apple and iMAC computers.

Both Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are geniuses in the realm of professional American football. They may not cure Cancer or vaccinate children from disease in an African village, but they are still geniuses in their occupational fields regardless of how much money they earn on an annual basis IMO.

Mike Vrabel, #50, yet another no nonsense LB from the great sports city of Boston too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCMdiI3z5NE&feature=share&list=ULeCMdiI3z5NE

Gotta give props to #84 "straight cash homey" WR Randy Moss as well...Holy jumping leapfrog! This man can catch anything! Go up and get the ball Randy...

http://youtu.be/QM6X6wyM_ZI

tuck tuck tuck - amazing how a horribly bad call like that can totally change history .... ;)

You what hawkeyes . . . people should stop complaining and try to come up with an alternative solution . . . i am not going to waste my time as I have done in the past and example in detail the tuck only to have people walk away with the tail between their legs refusing to come up with an alternative end point of the pass . . . be part of the solution as opposed to complain about the "problem"

To suffice it to say, the "tuck rule" is not a separate rule but merely the portion of the forward pass rule that delinate between a forward pass and when the QB is a runner again . . . the pass continues until he has tuck the ball into his body . . . surely its an overly broad rule, but so is spiking the ball as the feet of the rb in teh back field and throwing the ball out of bounds and beyond the LOS being outside the pocket, both are clearly grounding but are deemed an exception and an incomplete pass . . .

if you really want to see a vivid example of the end point of the forward pass (i.e. tucking back into this body), is the 4th qtr fumble by Big Ben last year against the 49ers . . . here is a link to the video (btw, if the video does not go directly to his fumble highlights, you will find in the highlight of in the highlight sections entitle "Big Ben's Third Turnover") . . . you can see it clearly in the portion of the videe with the highlight that starts around 35 sec mark . . . you can see that Big Ben starts his throw, then curls the ball back to himself, leaps and then tucks it into his body, (forward pass over) and moments later the ball comes . . .this is the clearist footage of the end point of the forward pass stopping, QB is now egilible to fumble and does so . . . and you can see that this end point is WELL past the point in which Tom Brady was when he was hit in the head by Woodsen . . . SW has some nice vidoes above . . .

http://www.nfl.com/g...ights&tab=recap

Now i ask you hawkeyes, would you please enlighten us on what you think in a good end point for the foward pass to stop and why? . . .and when you do provide that end point please add the pluses and minuses associated with that end point and with its relations to the present end point established by the NFL . . . take as much time as you need . . . thank you . . .

Since I typically refer to the New Patriots as the elite franchise in the NFL based on their 3 SuperBowl wins and 5 Lombardi appearances since 2001, I wanted to examine what makes this organization so Championship driven and a model of competitive consistency. Yes, it all begins at the top with owner Robert Kraft, clutch field general Tom Brady, and the reserved, yet brilliant Bill Belichick.

SW, thanks for posting . . . yes we are very fortunate here in the NE . . . but we must not forget Drew Bledsoe . . . he was, along with Parcels and Kraft, were instrumental in getting the franchise back on its feet and helped out in the 2001 AFCCG . . . then TB picked up from there along with BB . . .

the Patriot Way has alot to do with not being selfish and leaving the Ego at the door, fortunately we have TB who is the leader in that and many follow suit . . . not all players follower suit and would perfer to leave, but many stay . . .

Thanks for all of the videos . . .

As I think back to the contributions of Steve Sabol and contemplate his legacy on the entire NFL with all 32 teams, I ponder the impact of musical scores, orchestras, thunderous cymbals, and the resounding resonance of victory or defeat, defying the odds, tremendous comebacks, and the struggle for perfection and precision execution in the struggle for achieving respect at the zenith of one's career and the pantheon of Football Greatness.

Sacrifice in it's purest form. Players sacrifice their relationships with their wives, children, fathers, close friends, and mothers just to get a chance at winning a Vince Lombardi Championship. We all wanna wear the "Precious" One Ring designed with Tiffany diamonds throughout. This "Precious" Ring represents the price all men on the 53 men roster paid to be called an NFL World Champion. It honors unselfish commitment to each other, a common cause, and a desire to forego individual statistical achievements in favor of collective team excellence as a unit for 1 calendar year.

To quote Coach Bill Parcells: "This is why you lift all those weights!" To quote 49ers QB Steve Young after winning his Championship: "No one can ever, EVER take this [your championship and all it's glorious memories] away from you!" A Championship makes all the sore muscles, surgeries, broken bones, and endless team meetings all seem justified and worthwhile.

I just appreciate Steve Sabol for building a repoire with icons of the game in my living room each and every week. He made Manning, Brady, Bruschi, Deacon Jones, and Walter Payton seem like family to me and he understands the power of music to convey emotions...Glorious happiness in victory and belching somberness in defeat. Thank Steve for making the NFL tangible, real, and awe inspiringly spectacular!

Thank you NE Patriots for always putting up a good fight on GameDay and for having mutual respect for your tough NFL competitor Indianapolis Colts counterparts. I applaud you Robert Kraft, Bill Belichick, Tedy Bruschi, and Tom Brady. You are all world class individuals who exemplify sacrifice and professionalism to the core and you have earned my profound respect overall. Bravo!!!

Genius-“Somebody with exceptional ability, especially one whose intellectual or creative achievements gain worldwide recognition. A rare talent in a specific field, occupation, or hobby.”

Hey SW,

Thanks for giving me ammo to combat my sour-half!

I guess if I have to defend him, the word genius is so overused. And I am not inclined to proclaim Belichick is one until this current dynasty ends and he builds another one. I will go there if he does. Until then, he is a great coach.

SW, thanks for posting . . . yes we are very fortunate here in the NE . . . but we must not forget Drew Bledsoe . . . he was, along with Parcels and Kraft, were instrumental in getting the franchise back on its feet and helped out in the 2001 AFCCG . . . then TB picked up from there along with BB . . .

the Patriot Way has alot to do with not being selfish and leaving the Ego at the door, fortunately we have TB who is the leader in that and many follow suit . . . not all players follower suit and would perfer to leave, but many stay . . .

Thanks for all of the videos . . .

You're welcome Yehoodi and all New England fans for that matter. Yes, QB Drew Bledsoe was crucial to the success of this Foxboro franchise under owner Robert Kraft's tenure. You are exactly right. Prior to his involvement, NE wasn't the NFL juggernaut powerhouse that it is now and has been for a decade.

Plus, Drew was Tom Brady's first NFL field general mentor, guide, and tutor. Drew played a crucial role in molding and influencing Brady into a top tier NFL quarterback. Well said Yehoodi. Thank you also for your kind words of appreciation on my behalf. It took awhile to find, assemble, arrange, and distribute all these clips in a memorable and provocative way that is done in a dignified manner. :thmup:

http://youtu.be/9VIt5_qGlWU

nice thoughts BABronco . . . it is always tough to say . . . is it the coach, the players, or a combo of the two . . I go with the later . .. . every great Coach has a great QB and vice versa . . . its kind of like the chicken and the egg, which came first (chicken/egg), who is better (coach/QB/team) . . . I do think BB get a little too much credit for what he does and it can overshadow some views of Brady and other players . . . I think the only way you can compare is the compare the coaches who coach similarly talented team . . . i know this is tough to do as coache do play a part in their own team's succes, but for instance one might under value BB performance in Cleveland (lesser talent than NE) and overrate him in NE . . . . a good comparision would be to compary BB in NE with coaches in Indy, Dallas, GB, etc . . . teams that for the most part are equally level talent . . .

I do think that BB is one of the best coaches in this league . . . and yes he was lucky to get Brady late in the draft . . . but for what it is worth he did keep Brady on the roster in 2000, his rookie year, we had 4 QBs on the roster with Brady making the 4th . . . carriing 4 QBs was kind of unheard of, but BB wanted to keep TB . .. then the following year TB shot up to #2 and BB later said that he had plans to incorporate TB into the roster during the year, and this is with a franchise QB that just singed a long term deal, Bledsoe . . . sadly he got injured and TB got his chance without BB having to make the call, but he did make the call later in the season and kept TB in the starting lineup . . . losing ur spot to injury is rare too . . . so bottom line BB was lucky, but was the one that made the decision to keep TB on and put him in place of a franchise QB . . .so altho he got lucky he did make a key decision later . . .

but all in all i kind of agree with you, people are smart and when given the opportunity can achieve great things and at times be given more credit then they may inherently and intrinsicly deserve . . .