Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut Vinateri

SilentHill

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when one is blocked and the other is his first miss that hasn't been blocked in weeks it is.

I'm tired of the excuses from the fans after he misses multiple field goals in multiple games, surely it all was not just coincidence. Even the FG's he makes, he does so BARELY, almost gives me a heart attack every time. He gets paid WAY too much to be this inconsistent.

I think a lot of the problem could be with the field goal line. I miss Justin Snow.

Two blocks in two weeks suggest there is an issue on the right side of the line that's for sure. I have noticed their timing is off we've seen what two kicks pushed back due to delay of games this season? I am not sure if that goes on Adam, Pat, or Matt but whoever it is needs to do a better job getting people lined up faster because in addition to the two flags we've had a couple of others that have been very close to the play clock running out on them.

I'm tired of the excuses from the fans after he misses multiple field goals in multiple games, surely it all was not just coincidence. Even the FG's he makes, he does so BARELY, almost gives me a heart attack every time. He gets paid WAY too much to be this inconsistent.

Are you really going to blame Vinatieri for the blocked kick? Because that's the only way you can complain about multiple misses. And he hasn't missed multiple kicks in any other game this season.

Secondly, in an ideal world, we'd grade every player based on how much they get paid. Being pragmatic, however, you have to recognize that, at this point, Vinatieri's play has nothing to do with his pay. You have to grade his play based on his play alone. And you wouldn't think about cutting a veteran kicker at this point in the season unless you were confident you could replace him with a significantly better player, regardless of his contract. And that's just not possible.

His pay is what it is. I'm sure there will be a discussion about his pay over the offseason. But you can't do anything about it now. His pay is guaranteed for the season as of Week 1, owing to the fact that he's a vested veteran. So cutting him does nothing but waste (more) money on a player that's no longer on the team. And that's okay if you sincerely believe that said player is replaceable. But I have a hard time imagining a scenario in which you can replace a veteran kicker in Week 10.

I don't think anyone is happy with Vinatieri's overall performance this season so far. Six misses with two blocks is not what anyone would have expected. He does have some very big kicks this season, of course, but the misses are still a problem. But digging this thread up every time he misses is not only obnoxious, it also shows a lack of perspective on this issue.

So he's supposed to kick the ball threw people now? A block isn't an excuse it's what happened and that has nothing to do with the kicker. As for the other miss yeah it happens. It was his first miss since the Packers game (not counting the block in the Titans game because that was a block). I am tired of people who come out of the wood work calling for Adam to be cut anytime he misses a kick and then don't say a word when goes a month's worth of games without missing one. He's a kicker he's going to miss one now and then. Take out the two blocks because those aren't his fault and he's 13 of his last 15. Those two misses? From 48 and 53. Yes I think that's acceptable.

If people want to worry so much about Adam go ahead. I am much more worried about defense that hasn't forced a turnover since the Packers game or our line which is still shaky or our receivers which seam to get a case of the drops at times our a defense that can't get a pass rush without Freeney and Mathis in the game no matter what they do. I think those things are having a bigger impact on our season than our kicker.

^this^

The guy has a Ferrari and a Mazerati. The guy gets paid handsomely to produce points. He used to be Autoteri. Now I have to look in between my fingers as I cover my eyes whenever he steps up. :(

Barely makes? You've got to be kidding... I didn't realize there was such a category. I thought a make was a make and 3 points.

Barely makes? You've got to be kidding... I didn't realize there was such a category. I thought a make was a make and 3 points.

No, I'm not kidding, when your making FG's by 6" inside the goal posts, I can assure you it's not by design. It's inconsistency and it's not acceptable.

No, I'm not kidding, when your making FG's by 6" inside the goal posts, I can assure you it's not by design. It's inconsistency and it's not acceptable.

Oh so now you are punishing him for makes...

You know Luck's pass to Hilton today was into double coverage and was not designed for Hilton to have to jump in front of the defenders to catch it I guess we should say that's not acceptable either. Same with Ballard's dive for a touchdown last week. That wasn't designed either but you know what it still counts as a Touchdown. There are no style points as long as you score it works.

I guess we should be concerned about your sarcasm too since it appears in every post...

Why don't we stick to the topic rather than taking a personal shot because you don't like that I don't agree with you? Also if you read most of my posts here you'll see that I use sarcasm in everyone of my posts. Also last time I checked there is no rule against using sarcasm.

I full-heartedly agree with SilentHill. He always make me nervous when he comes on for the fg. I just don't trust he can be consistent like he used to be. Time to say goodbye after the season ends...

You have only one job and inconsistency does not cut it

So, I guess bringing in a new guy wouldn't make you nervous.

Let me ask you this: How many kickers in the league would you rather have when the game is on the line.

I mean come on, he's missed 5 kicks this year (1 was blocked so it's not his fault). 5 kicks is not the end of the world, or even bad at all.

EDIT: 4 missed kicks, because he had 2 blocks this year. I'd be more worried about the blocking. 4 misses in 8 games is very solid, better than half the kickers out there, and Adam has the clutch factor.

Edited by Andy

You can assure me based on what? Show me where the Colts coaches have confirmed that Vinny's "barely makes" are evidence of "inconsistency."

Look, people, no one is going to change another fans mind, ok? We get it, some people think his play is unacceptable, some don't. Where it falls short of reality is that fans......any one of us.....think they know more than the coaches who have the name and contact info of EVERY available kicker in the league right now. If it was good for the team to make that move, it would be done.

The fact that it has not, to this point, will not change by ragging on that point here.

How about that win today!

Depends on how you define clutch. He hit the go-ahead field goal with 57 seconds left against the Jags.

I think Superman pointed this out to me when I asked in another thread but wasn't the last 'clutch' kick he made in 2010 vs the Jets?

and won the game against the Vikings... He's been clutch this year.

Pointless cutting him this season, but this should be his last season. Any kick over 45 yards I expect him to miss. He obviously knocks some over. He is more 'loose change' now than 'money'.

^this^

The guy has a Ferrari and a Mazerati. The guy gets paid handsomely to produce points. He used to be Autoteri. Now I have to look in between my fingers as I cover my eyes whenever he steps up. :(

Exactly, AV is like any other NFL athlete. No one is immune from examination & scrutiny. You pay a man for clutch/consistent FG production not above average or occasional production. Start grooming AV's replacement ASAP like yesterday. HOF kickers can't player forever now can they...