Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut Vinateri

SilentHill

If you go back and read my post, you will see that I wanted Vinateri gone after last season. No sense of keeping him at his salary when you're in rebuilding mode. He is not our future. I also wanted Freeney gone too.

and I am asking where were you with this argument last week when he hit the game winning kick? If you want him cut for those reasons you should have been saying that last week and you weren't, no one was.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I am asking where were you with this argument last week when he hit the game winning kick? If you want him cut for those reasons you should have been saying that last week and you weren't, no one was.

There was no reason to start another post or even comment after he made that FG. I made my feelings known about Vinateri and Freeney before the season started and I still stand by my comments.

There was no reason to start another post or even comment after he made that FG. I made my feelings known about Vinateri and Freeney before the season started and I still stand by my comments.

So why are you doing it now if you made your feelings known and yet there was no reason to do it last week? That comes across as piling on because he happened to miss a kick.

So why are you doing it now if you made your feelings known and yet there was no reason to do it last week? That comes across as piling on because he happened to miss a kick.

I'm just adding to the thread which is what we're all doing. If there would have been a thread last week that said "Great job Vinateri" I would have congratulated him for hitting that field goal and I would have still criticized the Colts for keeping him.

I'm just adding to the thread which is what we're all doing. If there would have been a thread last week that said "Great job Vinateri" I would have congratulated him for hitting that field goal and I would have still criticized the Colts for keeping him.

Funny you weren't adding to the thread last week asking for him to be cut. You are piling on this week. Adam is just fine and doesn't need to be cut. No need to make an extra hole when we couldn't fill the holes we already had to fill last season anyways.

Funny you weren't adding to the thread last week asking for him to be cut. You are piling on this week. Adam is just fine and doesn't need to be cut. No need to make an extra hole when we couldn't fill the holes we already had to fill last season anyways.

Thank you thread police! I will make sure I go every week to that thread and update you personally! I am not piling on AV. I made a comment early in this thread and I'm replying to people. That's not piling on at all.

Thank you thread police! I will make sure I go every week to that thread and update you personally! I am not piling on AV. I made a comment early in this thread and I'm replying to people. That's not piling on at all.

Funny you weren't doing it you are only doing it this week because you saw an opening to go after Adam. That is the very definition of piling on. If you thought he should have been cut for the reasons you said you would have been saying it last week you weren't because as you said you had made that point earlier and didn't think it needed to be made again yet here you are saying it this week when he happens to miss a kick. I am sorry what changed this week that means you had to make that point again? Was it some how less made this week than last week? It's not thread policing either I am just entitled to my opinion as you are yours and mine is that you got caught trying to pile on to Adam when you saw an opening. You can keep stating your opinion I never said you couldn't but I can also keep disagreeing with it.

Funny you weren't doing it you are only doing it this week because you saw an opening to go after Adam. That is the very definition of piling on. If you thought he should have been cut for the reasons you said you would have been saying it last week you weren't because as you said you had made that point earlier and didn't think it needed to be made again yet here you are saying it this week when he happens to miss a kick. I am sorry what changed this week that means you had to make that point again? Was it some how less made this week than last week? It's not thread policing either I am just entitled to my opinion as you are yours and mine is that you got caught trying to pile on to Adam when you saw an opening. You can keep stating your opinion I never said you couldn't but I can also keep disagreeing with it.

I don't know what the problem is with you but the title of this thread is "Cut Vinateri." I did not start the thread and I do not think Vinateri should be cut because he missed a field goal. If you do not like me or anyone else talking about cutting Vinateri, go start a "Keep Vinateri" thread and show your love of him there. I do not have a problem with Vinateri, I just think that it was crazy to keep him at his age and salary when we are in a rebuilding mode. I do not care how many field goals he makes or misses. The point is someone younger, cheaper, and part of the future of the Colts could have been missing or making those field goals and that cash could have been used elsewhere. I saw the thread, I read the thread, and I made my comment. It was you who decided to make a big deal of it.

I don't know what the problem is with you but the title of this thread is "Cut Vinateri." I did not start the thread and I do not think Vinateri should be cut because he missed a field goal. If you do not like me or anyone else talking about cutting Vinateri, go start a "Keep Vinateri" thread and show your love of him there. I do not have a problem with Vinateri, I just think that it was crazy to keep him at his age and salary when we are in a rebuilding mode. I do not care how many field goals he makes or misses. The point is someone younger, cheaper, and part of the future of the Colts could have been missing or making those field goals and that cash could have been used elsewhere. I saw the thread, I read the thread, and I made my comment. It was you who decided to make a big deal of it.

Yes it is and if notice I responded to the thread topic before I responded to yours. I asked you a question if you think Adam should have been cut for the reasons you said where were you last week when he hit the game winning kick with that opinion? This week he misses a kick and you jump in to give that opinion.

The only way cutting Adam for a younger kicker makes sense is if you can sign a kicker for less than what you are paying Adam now and by the time you factor in the cap hit that would come with releasing Adam that is going to be extremely hard to do. Kickers play well into their 40's all the time he isn't making 19 million like Freeney is. He is making very little money when compared to other NFL players and is still very good job at his job and as we saw last week even on a team that is young like the Colts having a good kicker can pay off. Cutting him would make the Colts worse and frankly at this point there the little if any money we would save from cutting Adam wouldn't really be useful it would just make another hole that the Colts don't need. They already had so many they couldn't plug them this off-season.

You called it with this thread

haha

Threads like this always happen. A mistake, whether it's minor or major sparks a major overeaction from some (sometimes certain) fans. Adam missed a kick that in the end, didn't matter because the Colts lost by 5.

People like to come to rash decisions without thinking of the other options.

In this case, our best option besides Adam is Patty Mac, and as much as I love him, he ain't ready for the kicking duties.

haha

Threads like this always happen. A mistake, whether it's minor or major sparks a major overeaction from some (sometimes certain) fans. Adam missed a kick that in the end, didn't matter because the Colts lost by 5.

In this case, our best option besides Adam is Patty Mac, and as much as I love him, he ain't ready for the kicking duties.

Out of curiosity, why do you say that? Is it because he hasn't done any FG kicking in games? Or do you think he doesn't have the accuracy for it?

Yes it is and if notice I responded to the thread topic before I responded to yours. I asked you a question if you think Adam should have been cut for the reasons you said where were you last week when he hit the game winning kick with that opinion? This week he misses a kick and you jump in to give that opinion.

The only way cutting Adam for a younger kicker makes sense is if you can sign a kicker for less than what you are paying Adam now and by the time you factor in the cap hit that would come with releasing Adam that is going to be extremely hard to do. Kickers play well into their 40's all the time he isn't making 19 million like Freeney is. He is making very little money when compared to other NFL players and is still very good job at his job and as we saw last week even on a team that is young like the Colts having a good kicker can pay off. Cutting him would make the Colts worse and frankly at this point there the little if any money we would save from cutting Adam wouldn't really be useful it would just make another hole that the Colts don't need. They already had so many they couldn't plug them this off-season.

We're on this game this week now. Get over it!

Out of curiosity, why do you say that? Is it because he hasn't done any FG kicking in games? Or do you think he doesn't have the accuracy for it?

For 2 reasons:

1 -- For what you said, the experience. He hasn't really kicked field goals in games (practiced for it) since college. Yes, he had some kicks in the preseason, but so did Chad Johnson a few years ago. I'd like to either slowly develop him into the role or find another kicker. So yes experience is one of them.

2 -- He wasn't that great in college. He was 79% accurate overall and never really wowed many scouts. He may have a big leg, but the accuracy isn't necessarily there.

We can't just cut Adam and expect Pat to be just or nearly as good. That'd just be silly.

Cutting Vinatieri wouldn't really solve anything. Say we did that, and sign Neil Rackers or someone for $1.5 mil.....we save a whole 500K. Not gonna do much for us other than give us another 500K that we can roll into next year. Grigson is probably not looking to bring in Jake Scott (or insert name here), so basically that money would just sit there. We'd be getting rid of a guy that's hit game winners for us (and missed game winners). Losing so many friendly faces in the offseason was enough for me. Keep Vinny, his leg has really only gotten stronger as he's gotten older.....he's just no longer the Mr. Clutch.

The kicking game is such a crapshoot anyway. I know it's a bad example but I equate it to shooting free throws. You might be able to knock 'em down like nothing, but if a game comes down to it and you're on the line, if that ball rolls off your finger tips just slightly wrong, you miss it and you're the goat of the game.

Cutting Vinatieri wouldn't really solve anything. Say we did that, and sign Neil Rackers or someone for $1.5 mil.....we save a whole 500K. Not gonna do much for us other than give us another 500K that we can roll into next year. Grigson is probably not looking to bring in Jake Scott (or insert name here), so basically that money would just sit there. We'd be getting rid of a guy that's hit game winners for us (and missed game winners). Losing so many friendly faces in the offseason was enough for me. Keep Vinny, his leg has really only gotten stronger as he's gotten older.....he's just no longer the Mr. Clutch.

The kicking game is such a crapshoot anyway. I know it's a bad example but I equate it to shooting free throws. You might be able to knock 'em down like nothing, but if a game comes down to it and you're on the line, if that ball rolls off your finger tips just slightly wrong, you miss it and you're the goat of the game.

and that's not counting the cap hit we would take from cutting Adam either. We would end up losing money on that deal and on top of that all you are doing is cutting one older kicker for another older kicker. If the goal is to get younger that doesn't help.

Can we stop with the silly over reactions?

He hit a game winner last week and a 50+ yarder vs. the Steelers in the pre-season there is no issue with his leg. Then he came back and hit a kick to give us the lead today and then the defense blew it even with his miss. Yes he's missed two kicks but if you've followed most of Adam's career that's what he does he misses kicks here or there and then comes threw in the clutch. The fact he misses kicks here or there is why he hasn't been to more pro-bowls in his career.

Adam is fine. I understand people are mad at that we lost today but let's just stop the silly over reactions because we are mad. I mean yes Adam missed a kick but you know what Luck made a mistake today too he threw a silly INT and Reggie dropped a pass, should they be cut too because they made a mistake?

No, I was mad week 1 when he missed a short field goal at the end of the half, now i'm sick of it. He's overpaid and overplayed. He needs to retire.

For 2 reasons:

1 -- For what you said, the experience. He hasn't really kicked field goals in games (practiced for it) since college. Yes, he had some kicks in the preseason, but so did Chad Johnson a few years ago. I'd like to either slowly develop him into the role or find another kicker. So yes experience is one of them.

2 -- He wasn't that great in college. He was 79% accurate overall and never really wowed many scouts. He may have a big leg, but the accuracy isn't necessarily there.

We can't just cut Adam and expect Pat to be just or nearly as good. That'd just be silly.

Well Adam is only making 2/3 FG attempts, how much worse could he be?

haha

However, if we are down by 2 at the end, we are not putting it up for grabs in the endzone. We get another shot at a FG to win.