Glass Half-Full Outlook:
1. The Colts fire a great man, but not a great coach, (Pagano). Ballard hires a new head coach and allows the new head coach to choose his coaching staff.
2. Luck returns healthy and ready to play in 2018. With over a year of rest, and a full off season to get re-acclimated, he is ready to roll.
3. Ballard adds talent to the O-line position via free agency. The new blocking schemes are far more effective and less complicated, allowing the players to play fast and physical. The new offense focuses on shorter timing routes, getting the ball out fast, not asking the O-line to block for 3+ seconds every pass play.
4. Ballard adds more overall talent to the team through the draft. The new players make an impact to the team in 2018 and going forward.
5. With the new coaching staff, Luck, and infusion of new talent, the 2018 Colts are ready to challenge for the AFCS title and make a playoff run in hopes to win it all.
Glass Half-Empty Outlook:
1. The new coaching staff could mean a total change in philosophy, resulting in a need for far too many new players. Existing players no longer fit the scheme and they do not play well. 2018 is the beginning of yet another re-build. The team struggles, learning to fit into the new system, using 2018 as a learning year.
2. Luck returns somewhat healthy and is hesitant to "sling" the ball, leading to a conservative offense. Luck struggles (as expected) and leaves doubt about whether he will ever fully recover.
3. The O-line, despite new talent and new scheme continue to struggle because they are learning new schemes and have not played together long enough to build cohesion.
4. The new players make a positive impact, however, they are still rookies and make rookie mistakes. These mistakes could be the difference between a W or a an L.
5. With the new coaching staff, Luck will not only have to return to football, he will have to get his body adjusted, and his mind wrapped around new concepts. It will be too much all at once and he will struggle. His struggles lead to a stagnant offense, which in-turn affect the defense and we do not accomplish our goals in 2018.
Which is the more likely scenario in 2018?