Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Merrill Says #rg3Overluck

Merrill Hodge said on ESPN today that he watched a lot of film today and based on 5 categories, he gave RG3 the nod over Andrew Luck.

Accuracy RG3

Arm Str RG3

Touch RG3

Decision making Luck (by a thread)

Athleticism Tie

He says he doen'st have access to the interviews, but based on the film he saw says the Colts should draft RG3.

Merrill Hodge said on ESPN today that he watched a lot of film today and based on 5 categories, he gave RG3 the nod over Andrew Luck.

Accuracy RG3

Arm Str RG3

Touch RG3

Decision making Luck (by a thread)

Athleticism Tie

He says he doen'st have access to the interviews, but based on the film he saw says the Colts should draft RG3.

Was he high?

Accuracy - This is just laughable. This comes down to ball placement. When you look at Luck vs RG3 in accuracy, Luck is way more impressive with the throws he's able to make. Don't quote stats. RG3 is a spread QB. Always in the shotgun, it would be embarrassing for him to have worse statistics in this area.

Arm Strength - No argument. Luck can still heave the ball, just not as well as RG3. Still very over rated quality in a player aka Peyton Manning.

Touch - Both QB's have great touch on the ball. Delivery is great for both, although I like Luck's a little more. He has a very Drew Brees-ish throwing motion with the over-the-top smooth throw, while RG3 has an unorthadox three quarters delivery.

Decision Making - This is Luck's all day long. He's been in the pro-style offense for 3 years and makes great reads. He calls plays at the line, steps up in the pocket when he feels it collapsing and moves defenders with his eyes. The reason why RG3 is on the run so often is his lack of decision making abilities. If his first read is covered...he's off. I saw this in every Baylor game I watched last year.

Athleticism - I'm giving RG3 the edge here, but he's a former track star...this is expected. Running a 40 yrd dash 0.25 seconds faster than Luck doesn't put him on top. Luck is more accurate throwing on the run, and he might be as fast, but he can extend the play and move down the field just as well as Griffin, without being as much of an injury risk with his size.

My two cents. Give me a job at ESPN, i'll give you my misinformed and biased opinions all day :)

actually if you look at films, RG3 throws outside the numbers with ridiculous accuracy and often with a tight spiral. Lucks passes wobble a tad. When under duress, RG3 is still able to throw tight accurate spirals outside the numbers which is impressive.

Im not saying I think RG3 is coming to the colts, nor that I agree with Hodge. It does warrant consideration.

actually if you look at films, RG3 throws outside the numbers with ridiculous accuracy and often with a tight spiral. Lucks passes wobble a tad. When under duress, RG3 is still able to throw tight accurate spirals outside the numbers which is impressive.

Im not saying I think RG3 is coming to the colts, nor that I agree with Hodge. It does warrant consideration.

It is a valid point. Phill Simms has been saying the same thing for quite a while now as well.

Accuracy - This is just laughable. This comes down to ball placement. When you look at Luck vs RG3 in accuracy, Luck is way more impressive with the throws he's able to make. Don't quote stats. RG3 is a spread QB. Always in the shotgun, it would be embarrassing for him to have worse statistics in this area.

Arm Strength - No argument. Luck can still heave the ball, just not as well as RG3. Still very over rated quality in a player aka Peyton Manning.

Touch - Both QB's have great touch on the ball. Delivery is great for both, although I like Luck's a little more. He has a very Drew Brees-ish throwing motion with the over-the-top smooth throw, while RG3 has an unorthadox three quarters delivery.

Decision Making - This is Luck's all day long. He's been in the pro-style offense for 3 years and makes great reads. He calls plays at the line, steps up in the pocket when he feels it collapsing and moves defenders with his eyes. The reason why RG3 is on the run so often is his lack of decision making abilities. If his first read is covered...he's off. I saw this in every Baylor game I watched last year.

Athleticism - I'm giving RG3 the edge here, but he's a former track star...this is expected. Running a 40 yrd dash 0.25 seconds faster than Luck doesn't put him on top. Luck is more accurate throwing on the run, and he might be as fast, but he can extend the play and move down the field just as well as Griffin, without being as much of an injury risk with his size.

My two cents. Give me a job at ESPN, i'll give you my misinformed and biased opinions all day :)

You sir are on the money

Yep, QB's who throw wobbly passes and don't have great arm strength cannot survive in this league :) NOT! The QB's who win Super Bowls in our era. One throws wobbly balls and doesn't have the strongest arm. One is short. One is huge and fat. One was outrun by a statue. One is slightly faster than his wobbly throwing brother. Yes, there is one who is a great athlete with a great arm, but he is the exception. Most of these guys didn't win Super Bowls because of their athleticism...they can handle the heat when DT's and DE's are inches away from their chin, they know where to throw it and they are accurate. All except the one who was outrun by a statue because his oline gives him an eternity in the pocket. That's what they can't predict because in college he used his speed to escape. Maybe he can...idk.

Hmm...Ive seen Luck make perfectly tight spiraled, on the money throws, many times. Out routes, digs and outside comebacks all being in the spectrum.

Hodge aside, I would LOVE to see RGIII in a Colt's uniform. He is exciting to watch, he looks like he has fun playing the game. Couple that with his skillset, and I think the Colts really should take him.

I understand Luck had a very impressive college career and is more NFL THIS season, but the one thing that many say to support the Colts taking him, is the very thing I think they SHOULDN'T take him for.

He will remind you of Peyton Manning. Manning is Manning, Luck nor RGIII will be Manning, but with Luck, since he will make you think of Peyton, he will constantly be judged by "Manning standards", he mirrors Manning physically so much that he will not be able to blaze his own trail. RGIII would be more likely to be able to blaze his own trail because he brings a weapon that neither Manning NOR Luck has, to buy time/make plays with his legs. He's not a Vick-one-read-and-run kind of guy. He prefers to stay in the pocket, BUT isn't it nice to know that if there's nothing downfield, RGIII has the option to tuck it and burn the defense? Don't talk about scramblers getting injured cause pocket QB's get hurt just as much.

To me, RGIII is going to generate more excitement for a Colts franchise that will need something exciting to get through these rebuilding years.

Hodge aside, I would LOVE to see RGIII in a Colt's uniform. He is exciting to watch, he looks like he has fun playing the game. Couple that with his skillset, and I think the Colts really should take him.

I understand Luck had a very impressive college career and is more NFL THIS season, but the one thing that many say to support the Colts taking him, is the very thing I think they SHOULDN'T take him for.

He will remind you of Peyton Manning. Manning is Manning, Luck nor RGIII will be Manning, but with Luck, since he will make you think of Peyton, he will constantly be judged by "Manning standards", he mirrors Manning physically so much that he will not be able to blaze his own trail. RGIII would be more likely to be able to blaze his own trail because he brings a weapon that neither Manning NOR Luck has, to buy time/make plays with his legs. He's not a Vick-one-read-and-run kind of guy. He prefers to stay in the pocket, BUT isn't it nice to know that if there's nothing downfield, RGIII has the option to tuck it and burn the defense? Don't talk about scramblers getting injured cause pocket QB's get hurt just as much.

To me, RGIII is going to generate more excitement for a Colts franchise that will need something exciting to get through these rebuilding years.

This is a very well thought out arguement, and you are correct that Luck will always be compared to Manning. Especially since the Colts were okay with departing with Manning, knowing that they may have a possible replacement with Luck.

As far as your arguement that RGIII is more than a 1 read and run QB, I would completely disagree. I have seen enough of RGIII's games to form an opinion that he will stuggle with reads at the NFL level. He plays in a spread option system, which works well in college. (I've made this argument before, so I will not go into detail about why it doesn't translate well in the NFL.) If you watch film on him, he does not fully scan the field, and often if his first read is not open, he leaves the pocket and runs. I would ask you to review his game film/highlights and with every pass attempt, ask yourself if he throws to his first read or if he goes through his progression. You will be surprised that a majority of the time he either throws to his first read or runs. This would also explain his 170+ rushing attempts this past year.