Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bears and Cardinals show interest in JaMarcus Russell

Dustin

QwizBoy, on 09 Apr 2013 - 16:50, said:

Poor Bears and Cardinals.

My initial reaction was the same as yours QuizBoy, but after thinking about it for a minute Jamarcus would be cheap & what if Carson Palmer & Jay Cutler under perform or get hurt? Jay has taken a ton of punishment in Chicago due to a poor o-line that can't protect him & Palmer isn't exactly a 2005 Playoff bound QB coming out of Oakland.

I'm just leary of Russel's psyche & mental toughness though. It's like dating a psycho chick. She may be beautiful, but if she's having a bad day...Watch Out & protect your family jewels! Just Kidding!

My initial reaction was the same as yours QuizBoy, but after thinking about it for a minute Jamarcus would be cheap & what if Carson Palmer & Jay Cutler under perform or get hurt? Jay has taken a ton of punishment in due to a poor o-line that can't protect him & Palmer isn't exactly a 2005 Playoff bound QB coming out of Oakland. 

I'm just leary of Russel's psyche & mental toughness though.

Well, at least Russell can match Cutler's arm strength. That's about it though haha Though I could see him going to Arizona to get trained by the "QB guru" Bruce Arians. Would be better for him than going to a team that has very high expectations for themselves anyway, just in case Cutler does get hurt and JM has to go in.

Well, at least Russell can match Cutler's arm strength. That's about it though haha Though I could see him going to Arizona to get trained by the "QB guru" Bruce Arians. Would be better for him than going to a team that has very high expectations for themselves anyway, just in case Cutler does get hurt and JM has to go in.

Good point QuizBoy. Jabba the Hut [Jamarcus Russel] can't run or scrabble to save his life & his arm strength is his only upside. He's not exactly slim or light on his feet IMO.

JaMarcus-Russell_6.jpg

BibFortuna_Jabba_Ep6.jpg

Good point QuizBoy. Jabba the Hut [Jamarcus Russel] can't run or scrabble to save his life & his arm strength is his only upside. 

JaMarcus-Russell_6.jpg

BibFortuna_Jabba_Ep6.jpg

lmao that is just wrong. The resemblance is uncanny. Maybe if he loses some more weight and works on his QB skills he won't have to worry about scrambling. The latter part is the trick though.

Everyone loves a comeback story.

Yes, they do, but doesn't the comeback story have to be grounded in reality though? Okay, maybe I'm being a tad bit cruel with my Star Wars Jabba the Hut comparison, but I just don't see a happy ending here for Jamarcus or the franchise that takes a chance on him. Bruce Arians has worked wonders with Manning, Big Ben, & Luck, but there are limits to even QB gurus. Natural skill sets in terms of arm strength aren't enough; a relentless work ethic is mandatory & so is sharp film study focus. 2 assets JM has a huge void in IMO. 

lmao that is just wrong. The resemblance is uncanny. Maybe if he loses some more weight and works on his QB skills he won't have to worry about scrambling. The latter part is the trick though.

True my friend, but dissecting defenses is no easy task with LIVE rounds in the football field gun. Look, if I'm wrong, I will admit it & eat crow...But, a desire to improve in reads is easier said than done. If you have bad habits to begin with, old habits die hard. Thanks for laughing at my Star Wars analogy though buddy; I appreciate it. The raw talent is there, but the effective touchdown application of that talent on the field is another thing entirely.

It's like the difference between reading about a parachute jump from a plane in a book & actually doing it & landing safely...1 is theory; the other is proving it for real...

Yes, they do, but doesn't the comeback story have to be grounded in reality though? Okay, maybe I'm being a tad bit cruel with my Star Wars Jabba the Hut comparison, but I just don't see a happy ending here for Jamarcus or the franchise that takes a chance on him. Bruce Arians has worked wonders with Manning, Big Ben, & Luck, but there are limits to even QB gurus. Natural skill sets in terms of arm strength aren't enough; a relentless work ethic is mandatory & so is sharp film study focus. 2 assets JM has a huge void in IMO. 

Well maybe hes changed his ways

Well maybe hes changed his ways

It is possible & I have been wrong before, but my intuition isn't exactly overly optimistic. I will give him a shot to redeem himself & his NFL reputation though. JM deserves that much. 

But, if Jamarcus Russel deserves another chance, so does Vince Young in my book as well JMO...

It is possible & I have been wrong before, but my intuition isn't exactly overly optimistic. I will give him a shot to redeem himself & his NFL reputation though. JM deserves that much. 

But, if Jamarcus Russel deserves another chance, so does Vince Young in my book as well JMO...

Young gas had three chances

I'd expect more from the Bears..

Yeah, but the way they stand now, if Cutler goes down they'll have to put in Josh McCown or Matt Blanchard, neither of whom I've ever heard of. If they sign Russell and he actually improves his work ethic and skill, he might be the guy that goes in if Cutler goes down again.

Yeah, but the way they stand now, if Cutler goes down they'll have to put in Josh McCown or Matt Blanchard, neither of whom I've ever heard of. If they sign Russell and he actually improves his work ethic and skill, he might be the guy that goes in if Cutler goes down again.

Josh McCown is serviceable.

Josh McCown is serviceable.

I know of Luke McCown, are they related? I looked Josh McCown up and see that he's played for a lot of teams. He may very well be serviceable, guy is 33, he better had learned something all these years in the league lol.

Young gas had three chances

What is this baseball? 3 strikes & you're out? So what? There are no limitations on personal stories of redemption in my book. I am a very forgiving & patient person. And tell me, why in the world does then Titans HC Jeff Fisher get a pass? It's like he has NFL diplomatic immunity & doesn't have to answer any questions about the whole Vince Young saga just because he is a veteran football coach. It's insulting, pathetic, & ridiculous...

What is this baseball? 3 strikes & you're out? So what? There are no limitations on personal stories of redemption in my book. I am a very forgiving & patient person. And tell me, why in the world does then Titans HC Jeff Fisher get a pass? It's like he has NFL diplomatic immunity & doesn't have to answer any questions about the whole Vince Young saga just because he is a veteran football coach. It's insulting, pathetic, & ridiculous...

not what I meant. russell bombing in one place shouldn't deter an opportunity somewhere else. young has an opportunities and russell should too

not what I meant. russell bombing in one place shouldn't deter an opportunity somewhere else. young has an opportunities and russell should too

I have no problem with JM getting a fresh start in new surroundings. Some HC will bring him into their training camp whether he makes a team & doesn't get cut is an entirely different matter. Personally, I think JM is done in the NFL. Yes, he deserves another football opportunity, but I need to see how committed JM is to winning games; Is he willing to put in long hours to succeed?

Don't tell me Mr. Russel...Show me...Talk is cheap; Actions mean everything...

Great analogy, lol. I know a couple of them myself.

Thanks Malakai432! I like your sense of humor too BTW. Usually, you'll say something side splitting funny & then I'm mad at myself for running out of likes. Keep it up! You're a riot man!  ;)

The prettier they are the crazier tend to be & try to avoid women obsessed with snakes or birds. Not a good combination in my experience. Yes, there are beautiful women that are smart & well adjusted, but I seldom seem fortunate enough to find them anyway. Like water in the Sahara desert, separating a mirage from the real thing is no easy task.   

What?!? You mean teams don't want a 300 pound QB?!?

I don't understand.......

Yeah, I never bought that weight loss story either. I'm not exactly a perfect physical specimen myself, but I'm not the 1 trying to reserect [spelling] my NFL career either JM.  haha Good one House!  :thmup:

Here's another thing about JM I don't get. Why would you select #2 as your NFL jersey number anyway?

What were JM's other jersey number options? 00 or -1? That is the only feisible [spelling] explanation for taking #2 IMO...Either way, it's almost as if JM knew his NFL career would be shortlived & burn out instantaneously.