Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1

doogansquest

I started this thread to speak, very simply, about the importance of week 1.

We are playing without Peyton Manning for the first time in over a decade. The world has written us off. Perhaps such a judgment is justified, after all, we haven't seen this team prove capable of winning without him. The same jury has also declared that the Houston Texans will win the AFC South. Maybe that's a crown they will earn by season's end. Until we know for sure, we must expect the worst, hope for the best, and ride the wave in between.

If we lose, would that not be what was expected? As long as our team plays hard, they will have no shame in losing to a team to whom they were such an underdog.

If we win, the repercussions are far greater. The Houston Texans will have seemingly wasted the greatest opportunity they have had in the Manning-era. Like Patrick Ewing when he couldn't win a championships during Jordan's exile between 3-peats. The heat will be on them; the pre-season expectations, coupled with the perceived talent they possess, means that anything less than a blowout will put them under scrutiny. How would they bounce back from such a devastating defeat?

All that said, we must remember that this is only week 1. Our season will not be defined by what happens this Sunday. While it is likely that we come out beneath them this time around, that would have far less an impact on the fate of the season than would a Colts victory.

Take it easy, don't stress out, and cheer for our guys to get better throughout the season. Go Colts!

I don't really expect us to win in week 1 and I'm fine with that. Collins will need a little more time to become familiar and gel with the team. Collins is smart and will study hard so I think we will be fine once we get rolling. I don't know about playoffs but maybe we can sneak in and once we're in it's anybody's game. I will be very surprised if we finish below 500.

We are playing without Peyton Manning for the first time in over a decade. The world has written us off. Perhaps such a judgment is justified, after all, we haven't seen this team prove capable of winning without him. The same jury has also declared that the Houston Texans will win the AFC South. Maybe that's a crown they will earn by season's end. Until we know for sure, we must expect the worst, hope for the best, and ride the wave in between.

If we lose, would that not be what was expected? As long as our team plays hard, they will have no shame in losing to a team to whom they were such an underdog.

If we win, the repercussions are far greater. The Houston Texans will have seemingly wasted the greatest opportunity they have had in the Manning-era. Like Patrick Ewing when he couldn't win a championships during Jordan's exile between 3-peats. The heat will be on them; the pre-season expectations, coupled with the perceived talent they possess, means that anything less than a blowout will put them under scrutiny. How would they bounce back from such a devastating defeat?

All that said, we must remember that this is only week 1. Our season will not be defined by what happens this Sunday. While it is likely that we come out beneath them this time around, that would have far less an impact on the fate of the season than would a Colts victory.

Take it easy, don't stress out, and cheer for our guys to get better throughout the season. Go Colts!

Well said Doogan. I highlighted the 'play hard' part. To me, that's the most important thing. IMO, the defense pretty much gave up in the second half of the opener last year. It was embarrassing to them and the fans and they made up for it the following week.

I think that it would be unrealistic for Collins to come out and play as if he's been with the team for a year. I'd still like to see the coaches let him throw deep several times even if it's just to keep the D guessing. And I'd love to see our DBs playing tight and as many blitz packages as possible.

Like you said, we're playing with other people's money. Why be ultra conservative when no one expects us to win anyway?

What some fans need to remember is collins was in a similiar situation with the titans VY got injured and he had to come in and play... this is not uncharted territory for him... People also need to remember Peyton was JUST a QB not to make any less of what he did for the team but when it all comes down to it he got the ball to the guy that was open and thats just what collins is gonna do.... well we can all hope.

If we won this game it would do wonders for our confidence. And if we make the playoffs im sure all the Caldwell hater will sure bite their tounges.

Well said Doogan. I highlighted the 'play hard' part. To me, that's the most important thing. IMO, the defense pretty much gave up in the second half of the opener last year. It was embarrassing to them and the fans and they made up for it the following week.

I think that it would be unrealistic for Collins to come out and play as if he's been with the team for a year. I'd still like to see the coaches let him throw deep several times even if it's just to keep the D guessing. And I'd love to see our DBs playing tight and as many blitz packages as possible.

Like you said, we're playing with other people's money. Why be ultra conservative when no one expects us to win anyway?

Well said. I actually started a thread about that. Throw all that conservative stuff out the window it's time to take some chances with our play calling and try and keep the other team off balance. This could actually be a weapon for us.

and you could lose the game or miss the playoffs with PM anyway. So yeah I agree with your post.

eh..QBs get lost for a season all the time anyway. If you're a colts "football" fan as opposed to an "icon" fan :)

you're going to enjoy each game anyway. Sorta;)

We will never again miss the playoffs with Peyton Manning playing an entire season. It would take horrific injury streaks (like last year) to make that happen. Even then, we'd still eek out a few games most teams would lose.

But as for the individual game this weekend, yes, we could have still lost to them with Manning.

We will never again miss the playoffs with Peyton Manning playing an entire season. It would take horrific injury streaks (like last year) to make that happen. Even then, we'd still eek out a few games most teams would lose.

But as for the individual game this weekend, yes, we could have still lost to them with Manning.

well if the team didn't play good or simply is not good. It'd be close but it would be possible. never say never. OTOH if the team is good and Collins played all season good one could make the playoffs. But with PM I never thought this season would be a SB season.....although as local radio pointed out..any one of 16 teams has a shot including a PM colts team. Such is parity..chemisty and that elusive bounce of the ball.

What some fans need to remember is collins was in a similiar situation with the titans VY got injured and he had to come in and play... this is not uncharted territory for him... People also need to remember Peyton was JUST a QB not to make any less of what he did for the team but when it all comes down to it he got the ball to the guy that was open and thats just what collins is gonna do.... well we can all hope.

lol peyton was just a qb?Yea right a hall of fame quarterback never forget that.You make it sound like anybody can just step in.

well if the team didn't play good or simply is not good. It'd be close but it would be possible. never say never. OTOH if the team is good and Collins played all season good one could make the playoffs. But with PM I never thought this season would be a SB season.....although as local radio pointed out..any one of 16 teams has a shot including a PM colts team. Such is parity..chemisty and that elusive bounce of the ball.

When has this front office, in the last 9 years, ever not had a good team? I can say never here.

When has Manning not made the playoffs in the last 9 years? I can say never here too.

Would it matter if YOU thought this team, with PM, could reach the Super Bowl? You guessed it, never. The team's the only one that can make that result happen on the field. What we think doesn't matter.

Such is parity, and yet the model of consistency in the NFL? Peyton Manning getting the Colts to the playoffs.