Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looks Like Luck Has An MVP Vote

dw49

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's right, but Luck is not going to win it because it's really not an award for the most 'valuable player', it's for the 'best player' (not that those things can't be linked together).

I would say, it's for the most popular(shouldn't be, but mostly is) player. There will be a couple of posters here surprised to see me write this, but Luck should not be the MVP. I suppose there is a case to be made for him and IMO deserves it more than another certain rookie QB that shouldn't even be in the discussion but for some silly reason......is. IMO, Manning should win the MVP as of right now.

well theres only one rookie that ever won that award and it was earl campbell

Don't take any bets if someone challenges you on that statement. earl Campbell was the only player to ever win both rookie of the year and MVP. However... in 1945 Bob Waterfield won the MVP award in his rookie year. 1967 was the first year they awarded a player as rookie of the year. Look at Waterfields stats that year ... amazing. Forgetting he was MVP only starting 4 games but he had a QB rating of 72 with 14 TD's and 17 Ints. Anyway , I guess it's a plug for Andrew...

Don't take any bets if someone challenges you on that statement. earl Campbell was the only player to ever win both rookie of the year and MVP. However... in 1945 Bob Waterfield won the MVP award in his rookie year. 1967 was the first year they awarded a player as rookie of the year. Look at Waterfields stats that year ... amazing. Forgetting he was MVP only starting 4 games but he had a QB rating of 72 with 14 TD's and 17 Ints. Anyway , I guess it's a plug for Andrew...

there was no nfl though in 1945. its like saying the browns or eagles are champions you tell someone that that isnt really football savvy they'll go like what the heck are you talking about.

Adrian Peterson is my NFL MVP. but the NFL will find a way to give it to a QB so it would most likely be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady

Well it's not really the nfl giving it to a qb, it's the associated press. And if the vikings had a good record, ap would get some serious attention, but he's not really being valuable in terms of wins. He's on pace for a great season, but you could say the same for calvin johnson who could actually break the all time receiving yards record this year. But both of those guys aren't elevating their team with wins. You need great stats and a playoff bound team to win the mvp. It's not really ap or cj's fault, it just happens to be a league where the qb's performance determines a majority of the outcomes of games.

We had a discussion here a while back on if he should be in the conversation. I argued he absolutely should while many said no way. I completely agree with this guy. If you want to talk value to his team, Luck has to be in the conversation. He's not going to win however, because it's going to go to a guy with better stats and a better record. But in terms of most valuable to his team, Luck is right there, much the same way Manning was always there while a member of the Colts. We saw his value last year as we went 2-14 without him. Take Luck off this years team and it's likely about the same result.

We had a discussion here a while back on if he should be in the conversation. I argued he absolutely should while many said no way. I completely agree with this guy. If you want to talk value to his team, Luck has to be in the conversation. He's not going to win however, because it's going to go to a guy with better stats and a better record. But in terms of most valuable to his team, Luck is right there, much the same way Manning was always there while a member of the Colts. We saw his value last year as we went 2-14 without him. Take Luck off this years team and it's likely about the same result.

I didn't post my feelings.. just the link. I also agree and not to beat a dead horse... but Luck is doing what he has to do to win with this team. Thats just fire the ball downfield and throw caution to the wind. No running game , no protection , spotty defense. When you fire deep down the middle to often rookie receivers from a collasping pocket ... guess what. Your going to have some interceptions.... The kid is unreal. Watch the Patriot game again. Everyone agreed that he was horrible. But if you watch it again , you'll see numerous great throws. Some just won't accept the fact that when a team gets you "off your mark" with good pressure , bad things often happen. What was PM's record in playoff games ? I forget.

Wonder what our record would be if Curtis Painter drove the bus again, or K. Collins. Dan O. might have a few W;s.... scary.

He'll get consideration. But the winner will earn and deserve it. Luck might still do that.

Probably 1-3 wins. Collins would definitely get injured, Painter would probably get crushed and Orlavsky might come in to lead us to a few wins.

Adrian Peterson is my NFL MVP. but the NFL will find a way to give it to a QB so it would most likely be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady

It more than likely will go to Brady or Peyton, but my vote for MVP is also AP, and he's starting to make me believe that he should be Comeback Player of the Year as well..Minnesota's whole team, esp when Harvin is out injured, is all Peterson. Teams constantly stack 8-9 in the box, they all know where he is going, and yet he is having one of the best years of his career just 9 months after all the reconstructive surgery on his knee..What he is doing is simply amazing..I can guarantee that without Peterson, the Vikes would be one of the bottom teams in the league this year. Calvin Johnson is in the same category this year as well with him approaching the record for most yards by a WR

This is one year where many candidates truly deserve the end of season honors, including Rookie of the Year. It could go many different directions...but at least we know that whomever wins whatever award, this year, they truly will have earned it.

It more than likely will go to Brady or Peyton, but my vote for MVP is also AP, and he's starting to make me believe that he should be Comeback Player of the Year as well..Minnesota's whole team, esp when Harvin is out injured, is all Peterson. Teams constantly stack 8-9 in the box, they all know where he is going, and yet he is having one of the best years of his career just 9 months after all the reconstructive surgery on his knee..What he is doing is simply amazing..I can guarantee that without Peterson, the Vikes would be one of the bottom teams in the league this year. Calvin Johnson is in the same category this year as well with him approaching the record for most yards by a WR

This is one year where many candidates truly deserve the end of season honors, including Rookie of the Year. It could go many different directions...but at least we know that whomever wins whatever award, this year, they truly will have earned it.

I'd give AP the Offensive Player of the Year award, assuming he keeps up his current pace. He is basically IT for his team, and it's super impressive.

But I think the MVP ought to be on a team that's excelling, and that's not the Vikings. And that also highlights why the MVP often goes to a quarterback, because it's pretty rare to see a quarterback put up numbers like what AP is doing on a bad or even mediocre team. It happens, but not often, and if it does, that quarterback isn't in the MVP discussion (like Stafford, for instance). The Vikings have the worst passing attack in the league, which goes to show that you can be a dominant run team, but that's just not enough to matter anymore. Just like the Jags last season.

I don't think AP should qualify for Comeback Player of the Year. To me, that should go a player that missed the majority of the previous season for whatever reason, and AP only missed four games last year.

Yup.

Eerily, I agree with this without fail. Ironically, I'm using an old Peyton 'esq scenario... Who is more valuable... veteran Peyton @ 9-3 to a team that went 8-8 and won a playoff game last year, or rookie Luck at 8-4 to a team that was fortunate to go 2-14 last year?

I'm torn....

Come on. I love Luck, I really do, but MVP should go to the best player in the league. You surely can't argue that Luck has been the best player in the NFL.

Agree that it's hard to make a case for that , but I don't know how PM would do playing behind this O Line. I can't imagine a QB that can't escape a blistering rush or has a suspect arm winning 8 games with this team. Now if you asked me who I would rather have QB the Broncos this year , it would be Manning without a doubt. I'm not saying Luck should get it , I'm just not sure he doesn't fit the description of the award.

Come on. I love Luck, I really do, but MVP should go to the best player in the league. You surely can't argue that Luck has been the best player in the NFL.

That's not the way I know it. Best offensive player should get Offensive Player of the Year, and vice versa for the best defensive player. The MVP doesn't necessarily have to have the best stats. It's who is most valuable to his team.

Disagree, best player goes to the offensive and defensive players of the year. MVP goes to the player that is most valuable to his team and the position it attains. Luck could be in that race depending what happens over next few games.

I'd give AP the Offensive Player of the Year award, assuming he keeps up his current pace. He is basically IT for his team, and it's super impressive.

But I think the MVP ought to be on a team that's excelling, and that's not the Vikings. And that also highlights why the MVP often goes to a quarterback, because it's pretty rare to see a quarterback put up numbers like what AP is doing on a bad or even mediocre team. It happens, but not often, and if it does, that quarterback isn't in the MVP discussion (like Stafford, for instance). The Vikings have the worst passing attack in the league, which goes to show that you can be a dominant run team, but that's just not enough to matter anymore. Just like the Jags last season.

I don't think AP should qualify for Comeback Player of the Year. To me, that should go a player that missed the majority of the previous season for whatever reason, and AP only missed four games last year.

I understand your points, and they are valid, well thought out, and lucid. But on your point that AP should not qualify as comeback player of the year is just wrong. imo. He missed 1/4 of the season, and came back after only 9 months from an injury it takes a year and half to recover from, (and some never recover from), and came back even better than he was before he left, with basically no supporting cast, teams stuffing the box, knowing he's coming, and still they can't stop him. To me, he is the best player in the league right now.

I love Peyton, and I will always think he is the greatest to ever play the game, and proving everyone wrong that he was washed up, etc, is truly amazing, and he deserves the award. But to say that Peterson shouldn't even be considered for CPOY is ludicrous, to say the least.

And ColtStrong..I agree with your post, (ran out of likes)..MVP should be the most valuable person to his team....Without Luck, the Colts would be a lot like they were last year...Even Peyton in his rookie year couldn't turn the Colts around, even with Marshall Faulk in the backfield. It took him til year 2...Luck deserves some consideration for the MVP award imo. No one ever thought the Colts would be doing what they are even with Luck...And look at us...8-4 after a 2 win season, we are now in serious contention for a playoff berth..to me that is what Most Valuable stands for.

Sure he should get MVP votes but I believe Manning or Brady deserve it a lot more.

Come on..everybody...

Andrew Luck isnt even in the Top-5 for MVP....he should not get any MVP votes from anyone other than Colts fans

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Adrian Peterson, be Rothlisberger...

Give the boy a break..Luck's going to have tough enough time winning Rookie of the Year..

Come on..everybody...

Andrew Luck isnt even in the Top-5 for MVP....he should not get any MVP votes from anyone other than Colts fans

Give the boy a break..Luck's going to have tough enough time winning Rookie of the Year..

Then you don't understand the true meaning of MVP. It really has nothing to do with pure stats.

Here ya go....

I'll give you the first year of some players that some might consider legitimate NFL players

waterfield 1945

sammy baugh 1937

sid luckman 1939

steve van buren 1944

crazy legs hirsch 1946

tom fears 1948

otto graham 1946

bobby lane 1948

norm van brocklin 1949

joe perry 1948

Those are just some of the offensive players. I didn't bother with defensive. The league had credibility - stabiity around 1933. That's what I'm reading anyway as I' not that old.

Come on..everybody...

Take it up with Adam Schein , he actually has a vote and Luck at this point gets his vote. The rest of us just happen to think Luck has meant as much to the Colts as any other player has meant to his team. There is nothing that backs those of you saying that is cannot be used as the criteria for MVP. In fact if you people are right , why do they bother with the award for Offensive Player Of The Year ? How could it possibly go to a different player if the MVP went to the best player in football. Now if the MVP was a defensive player , it could happen.

Believe it or not , it's possible to think Luck is the MVP and not the rookie of the year. That award actually would go to the player that played the best in 2012 and not necessarily to the rookie that was most valuable to his team.

In any event , I don't think anyone here is thinking he will get the award or that he should be the favorite at this point in the season. All we're saying is that we can see Adam Schein's reasoning.

Take it up with Adam Schein , he actually has a vote and Luck at this point gets his vote. The rest of us just happen to think Luck has meant as much to the Colts as any other player has meant to his team. There is nothing that backs those of you saying that is cannot be used as the criteria for MVP. In fact if you people are right , why do they bother with the award for Offensive Player Of The Year ? How could it possibly go to a different player if the MVP went to the best player in football. Now if the MVP was a defensive player , it could happen.

Believe it or not , it's possible to think Luck is the MVP and not the rookie of the year. That award actually would go to the player that played the best in 2012 and not necessarily to the rookie that was most valuable to his team.

In any event , I don't think anyone here is thinking he will get the award or that he should be the favorite at this point in the season. All we're saying is that we can see Adam Schein's reasoning.

Post of the night.

I've been constantly posted since Avery scored Sunday with all zeros on the clock. Just fired up I guess. Law of averages is that I would have one that at least one person liked. So thanks....

Well, you make a very valid point about the real meaning of MVP. If the best statistical qb is the MVP, shouldn't he also get Off. Player of Year too? What's the point? MVP is not about most valuable to the league, (does Peyton help the league win?) it's MOST valuable to their team. I wish people could understand this concept.

Then you don't understand the true meaning of MVP. It really has nothing to do with pure stats.

lol yea it does. Show me someone who has won MVP with pedestrian stats.

Here is the list of every NFL MVP since 2000. What do they all have in common? They put up INSANE numbers:

2000 Marshall Faulk St. Louis Rams Running back 2001 Kurt Warner (2) St. Louis Rams Quarterback 2002 Rich Gannon Oakland Raiders Quarterback 2003 Peyton Manning Indianapolis Colts Quarterback Steve McNair Tennessee Titans Quarterback 2004 Peyton Manning (2) Indianapolis Colts Quarterback 2005 Shaun Alexander Seattle Seahawks Running back 2006 LaDainian Tomlinson San Diego Chargers Running back 2007 Tom Brady New England Patriots Quarterback 2008 Peyton Manning (3) Indianapolis Colts Quarterback 2009 Peyton Manning (4) Indianapolis Colts Quarterback 2010 Tom Brady (2) New England Patriots Quarterback 2011 Aaron Rodgers Green Bay Packers Quarterback

lol yea it does. Show me someone who has won MVP with pedestrian stats.

Here is the list of every NFL MVP since 2000. What do they all have in common? They put up INSANE numbers:

2000 Marshall Faulk St. Louis Rams Running back 2001 Kurt Warner (2) St. Louis Rams Quarterback 2002 Rich Gannon Oakland Raiders Quarterback 2003 Peyton Manning Indianapolis Colts Quarterback Steve McNair Tennessee Titans Quarterback 2004 Peyton Manning (2) Indianapolis Colts Quarterback 2005 Shaun Alexander Seattle Seahawks Running back 2006 LaDainian Tomlinson San Diego Chargers Running back 2007 Tom Brady New England Patriots Quarterback 2008 Peyton Manning (3) Indianapolis Colts Quarterback 2009 Peyton Manning (4) Indianapolis Colts Quarterback 2010 Tom Brady (2) New England Patriots Quarterback 2011 Aaron Rodgers Green Bay Packers Quarterback

But they were also THE most valuable players on their team, obviously. Just because someone doesn't put up insane #'s doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered.

Why do people have this misconception that it should automatically go to the player with the best numbers? Who has helped their team more? I guarantee the Broncos and Pats would have more wins than the Colts if all 3 starting QB's were hurt. Who's more valuable to their team?

Schein understands what MOST VALUABLE means, others here don't. When you can start voting for MVP, (which only 50 people do) have a national daily radio show, write stories, etc......., then I'll listen to you more closely.

Btw, I'm not saying Luck should be the MVP. I just have a problem with people's definition of "MVP".