Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm Sorry! Hilton Is Not The Answer On Special Teams

krunk

I normally try to be optimistic about most things, but T.Y. just does not seem to be the answer on special teams. He's a fine WR, but punt and kick returner he just seems to be daised and confused. I once made similar statements about Ballard and then afterwards he improved at his position. Maybe Hilton will get better, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

When we get to the 20, I consider it a success. It's not just TY, it's the entire ST unit. I thought we'd be better this year but the dropoff of talent really shows up there.

Hey, we're young. I'm more concerned about the D, and our inability to pressure the QB or cover anyone.

As soon as he catches the ball he has 3 guys swarming him, he needs some help. That said I don't know that he will be Devin Hester/Josh Cribbs. He will most likely just be a WR in the future, which is fine with me.

That doesn't explain the kick returns. I too will be just fine with him being a WR only unless I see some improvement.

When we get to the 20, I consider it a success. It's not just TY, it's the entire ST unit. I thought we'd be better this year but the dropoff of talent really shows up there.

Hey, we're young. I'm more concerned about the D, and our inability to pressure the QB or cover anyone.

In a big game like todays game you need to do more than get to the 20. He did well with kickoff and punt returns in college, but in the NFL it doesn't seem to be his suit so far. I'm not sure what the issue is.

To me, we should be using T.Y. like the Pats used Edelman. We dont run enough reverses with his speed, we could use him like an RB out of the backfield like a Harvin or Randall Cobb and other than the obvious WR screens and routes he runs, I do think he could be used a little more. He might be, if Avery has to miss time.

As far as kick returns go, Zbikowski does not dance around, he sees a few gaps and gets safe yardage despite lacking elite speed, reminds me of Jim Leonhard that the Broncos use as a punt returner. Nothing flashy but good ball security and safe yardage. T.Y. has not shown a Harvin like vision in KR duties and the jury is definitely out on his performance as a KR.

It looked to me like NE was intentionally wanting Hilton to return the ball. They could've easily kicked it out of the back of the endzone. Attacking our ST was a part of their plan.

It's like he does so much dancing around, and is afraid to just find a seam and attack. Almost like he's scared! He shows a lot of heart as a WR, but it's like he turns into somebody else on special teams..

LaVon Brazill returned punts at Ohio, and it makes little sense to me why the Colts use TY or Zibs. Now, with Avery posssibly concussed, the last place I want to see TY is returning punts. I would like to see Brazill back there for both punts and kickoffs. Two punt returns and three KO returns, and we haven't seen him since, have we?

He did a horrendous job on ST.

I'd like to see Lavon back out there. He wasn't horrible. The blocking needs some help too.

TY was good in college, but it seems like he craps his pants in the pros.

Lavon has been given that chance and he's fumbled the football with each opportunity. That's his major issue

LaVon Brazill returned punts at Ohio, and it makes little sense to me why the Colts use TY or Zibs. Now, with Avery posssibly concussed, the last place I want to see TY is returning punts. I would like to see Brazill back there for both punts and kickoffs. Two punt returns and three KO returns, and we haven't seen him since, have we?

It's due to him fumbling the football. That will get you axed quickly

No he fumbled twice. The second one he was down. Even though he was down, it was probably still troubling to the coaches that the ball came loose.

Well TY looked awful today, he fumbled and he bobbled the ball. That's not exactly relieving either. I'd give Brazill another chance, because he seems to be the only guy that has given us some decent returns.

Well TY looked awful today, he fumbled and he bobbled the ball. That's not exactly relieving either. I'd give Brazill another chance, because he seems to be the only guy that has given us some decent returns.

Anybody but Hilton is worth a try this season. Maybe he'll show better next year.

Thats dumb Ty Hilton has 1 bad game on special teams in a game that we had already lost from the turnovers and u guys give up on him, first off he needs help with some blocks because nobody on that special teams has learned how to block and hes a rookie let him get comfortable in the NFL then u can criticize. Just be happy that the Colts are in the playoff hunt in a season that should have been a rebuilding season. And be happy that u got a steal in Ty Hilton in a third round pick because he is the only rookie reciever with 3 100 recieving yard games and he looks like he will be a great WR in the future as he gains experience. For gods sake hes a ROOKIE!!!!!

I rather us use that new guy with the 9.9 100 speed as kr and leave brazil and hilton as receivers since they are both much better at receiver than returning kicks

Palmer? He has no history of returning kicks. I don't see even one from his years at Northern Illinois. I'd rather not throw someone back there who hasn't ever done it, especially punts. Kickoffs, sure. Punts, I want someone who has actually done that before.

Do you know that for a fact? No, you don't. It's the blocking, not the guy.

When the guy fumbles during the game and bobbles it on another punt return (not to mention not returning more than 15 yards each time), IT'S TIME FOR A NEW GUY. The blocking isn't great, but TY was just horrible today.

Give me a break.

Thats dumb Ty Hilton has 1 bad game on special teams in a game that we had already lost from the turnovers and u guys give up on him, first off he needs help with some blocks because nobody on that special teams has learned how to block and hes a rookie let him get comfortable in the NFL then u can criticize. Just be happy that the Colts are in the playoff hunt in a season that should have been a rebuilding season. And be happy that u got a steal in Ty Hilton in a third round pick because he is the only rookie reciever with 3 100 recieving yard games and he looks like he will be a great WR in the future as he gains experience. For gods sake hes a ROOKIE!!!!!

What particular game did you see him do well? It's great you're quoting his receiver stats, but NO ONE is judging him as a receiver because he has a bright future there. We are judging him as a kick returner and a punt returner. We are going into our 11th game, and there has not been more than 1 decent return all year long. If the Colts were receptive to the rookie excuse then they would not be trying other guys back there like Zibikowski, Vaughn, and Brazil. As B.A. clearly stated "there are no more rookies" at this point. They know he is having problems in that area, and it simply can not be all blamed on blocking. Especially on the kick returns!

I normally try to be optimistic about most things, but T.Y. just does not seem to be the answer on special teams. He's a fine WR, but punt and kick returner he just seems to be daised and confused. I once made similar statements about Ballard and then afterwards he improved at his position. Maybe Hilton will get better, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Might want to get Jerry Hughes off special teams, too....

He's not that quick.....If you notice..on the punt return TD...he missed the ball carrier twice...

Might want to get Jerry Hughes off special teams, too....

He's not that quick.....If you notice..on the punt return TD...he missed the ball carrier twice...

I'm very irrate about the special teams yesterday. I can live with Hughes because he does not normally play that way. Hilton has consistently done what he's doing, and I just don't believe there is a huge learning curve to punt and kickoff return. He's got the speed, now he's got to get the guts to see the hole and explode! I just refuse to blame it all on blocking, especially on the kick returns. I would be perfectly ok if they just took him off of it and let him focus on being a WR. He is a heck of a WR and that is the area where he brings the most value.

As I stated in one of the other threads I started, I would like to get a look at Teddy Williams back there at the kick return. I've seen a clip of him returning a kick in the pre-season, and although he did fumble that guy knows how to hit a seam and go. I don't like fumbles, but we can work on getting you stronger in that area if you are busting the seam aggressively and running hard. If not Teddy, then someone other than TY.

I'm very irrate about the special teams yesterday. I can live with Hughes because he does not normally play that way. Hilton has consistently done what he's doing, and I just don't believe there is a huge learning curve to punt and kickoff return. He's got the speed, now he's got to get the guts to see the hole and explode! I just refuse to blame it all on blocking, especially on the kick returns.

But again...krunk..and I hate to keep saying this..but he's a rookie...

We're asking rookies to play like vets..I'd give him more time....Tom Zbikowski has no speed.....they only use him because he wont fumble

I;d rather have speed back there

But again...krunk..and I hate to keep saying this..but he's a rookie...

We're asking rookies to play like vets..I'd give him more time....Tom Zbikowski has no speed.....they only use him because he wont fumble

I;d rather have speed back there

He's played in 11 games. If you were talking about WR then maybe I could accept it. This is Punt and Kickoff return we are talking about. There isn't much of a mental learning curve to it. This kid is too talented, and I've seen him achieve too much as a WR to accept the rookie excuse on special teams. I'd like to at least see some improvement after 11 games. At least show me some improvement and I'll stop my concerns. If they decide to take him off I'd be all for it. He is much more valuable as a WR. Hey someone had to come to the point with Garcon where they stopped using him on special teams. It's not that big of a deal.

1. Blocking

2. Rookie

Calm down people, it's not that Serious. A few Fumbles in the Game, it happens. The entire team had a ad Game, it was a TEAM Stink-Up. Young Team, this is the Growing Pains that EVERYONE should've expected to happen. We played with the Big Boys, & got Bullied

He's played in 11 games. If you were talking about WR then maybe I could accept it. This is Punt and Kickoff return we are talking about. There isn't much of a mental learning curve to it. This kid is too talented, and I've seen him achieve too much as a WR to accept the rookie excuse on special teams. I'd like to at least see some improvement after 11 games. At least show me some improvement and I'll stop my concerns. If they decide to take him off I'd be all for it. He is much more valuable as a WR. Hey someone had to come to the point with Garcon where they stopped using him on special teams. It's not that big of a deal.

11 games?.....listen to what you're saying...

Everybody gets the 'rookie excuse' in the NFL...

Most rookies dont play regular roles.....I know you know all this.......it s just frustration...after a big time loss

Kick returns are hit and miss...sometimes Devin Hester is terrible

WE can all agree he was drafted in part due to his prowess as a kick runner...

...so dont change the plan.......trust in our scouting and judgement..

I think he'll break one soon

11 games?.....listen to what you're saying...

Everybody gets the 'rookie excuse' in the NFL...

Most rookies dont play regular roles.....I know you know all this.......it s just frustration...after a big time loss

Kick returns are hit and miss...sometimes Devin Hester is terrible

WE can all agree he was drafted in part due to his prowess as a kick runner...

...so dont change the plan.......trust in our scouting and judgement..

I think he'll break one soon

If you are consistently seeing them putting other guys at kick returner, what do you think the coaches judgements are?

Truthfully I want NO part of TY being in on ST. I think he is too good of a WR to be risking injury when were lucky to get to the 20 anyhow.

If you are consistently seeing them putting other guys at kick returner, what do you think the coaches judgements are?

..and if they consistently go back to TY....

I think our coaches (and Front office) judgement is that they drafted TY to return kicks..and that they didnt sign Tommy Z . to return them.

Gotta have patience with rookies...

Hilton's got the speed to be game breaker and he need touches..

A KO return is a free touch........

Truthfully I want NO part of TY being in on ST. I think he is too good of a WR to be risking injury when were lucky to get to the 20 anyhow.

I don't see the need for him to be a double triple threat. Santana Moss was excellent at the college level returning punts and kicks but he didn't repeat the same success on the pro level. He was decent if you want to call it that. Out of his entire career 11 year career he's got about 5 punt return touchdowns, and no kickoff return touchdowns. Averaging 11 yards per punt return for his career, and 19 yards per return for kickoff returns. His value has been more impactful at WR. http://www.nfl.com/p...743/careerstats

I think TY has better value at WR as well. I don't see it as a priority to make him a triple threat at kickoff and punt returns if it's not showing after 11 games. Someone else may be better performing that role. It doesn't lessen him as a player if we find someone else to do that job. IF he improves then I'll say I was wrong, just the same way I said I was wrong about Ballard.